This honey lime dressing is so full of flavour and so light and refreshing, you'll want to use it on everything! Thrown together in less than ten minutes, this healthy, homemade dressing is perfect to drizzle over fresh salads.
The flavours in this simple dressing pair perfectly with Mexican flavours like black beans, red onion, cilantro and avocado! It's also perfect to dress a side salad with on Taco Tuesday or Taco Anyday! For more delicious salad dressings, you might also like to try my honey balsamic vinaigrette, dijon mustard maple dressing or my lemon herb dressing.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
I think I say this every time I make a new salad dressing recipe, but this honey-lime dressing is my new favourite salad dressing! I'm in love and I think you will be too! Here's why:
- this dressing is made using healthy ingredients like fresh lime and avocado oil.
- my honey lime dressing is refined sugar free, sweetened only with a little honey.
- with garlic, salt & pepper, this dressing is perfect for savoury recipes.
- meal prep in advance to keep in the fridge for when your leafy greens need a flavour boost!
Ingredients Notes & Substitutions
I love that this recipe is made using simple ingredients that are easy to find! Read onto see what ingredients you will need as well as any possible substitutions. Though, for best results it is always best to follow the recipe.
- lime zest - from one lime. Being the main ingredient I wouldn't recommend swapping this, however if you're in a pinch then you can use lemon zest.
- fresh lime juice - if you are needing to swap the lime you can swap the lime juice for lemon juice. However, again, I would recommend just sticking with lime. You could always try my Lemon Dijon Dressing if you can't get limes.
- honey - you can swap the honey for pure maple syrup.
- avocado oil - swap for extra virgin olive oil or flaxseed oil.
- sea salt - I have used flaked sea salt. If you're using fine ground sea salt then you will need to use less. Just add a pinch at a time and taste before adding anymore.
- cracked black pepper - just add pepper to taste, a few cracks should do!
- garlic clove - can be swapped for 1 teaspoon of very finely chopped red onion or shallot.
For ingredient quantities, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to Make Honey Lime Dressing
This honey lime vinaigrette recipe is quick and simple to make. I like to use a bowl and a whisk to make my salads these days but you can always just add all of the ingredients to a mason jar and shake, shake, shake.
For this salad dressing, I start by adding the lime zest, lime juice, sea salt, honey and garlic to a medium bowl and whisking until well combined.
Next, start gradually pouring the avocado oil into the bowl while you whisk. Keep whisking until the dressing is emulsified (which means that the oil and lime juice no longer seperate, this works best if the ingredients are room temperature).
Drizzle over your favourite salad or store in a glass jar with a lid, or an airtight container, in the fridge until ready to use.
- to prevent lettuce leaves going soggy, it is always best to dress leafy greens just prior to serving.
- if meal prepping, divide the dressing among serving size containers and place the containers into your salad to take with you to work.
- 1 Whisk
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- glass jar with lid or airtight container
- ¼ cup lime juice fresh
- 1 lime zested
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt flakes
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- cracked black pepper to taste
- Add the lime juice, lime zest, honey, garlic and salt to a glass bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Start gradually pouring in the avocado oil while whisking, until the dressing is emulsified. Season with cracked black pepper to taste.