Crispy fried potato fritters make for a delicious appetiser, snack, side dish or breakfast! These gluten free potato fritters are so crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. In this post I will show you how to make this potato fritters recipe in the fry pan or oil free in an air fryer or oven.
Accompanied perfectly with our Avocado Green Goddess Dressing and a fried egg or two, these crispy potato fritters make for a wholesome and nutritious breakfast. If potato isn't your thing then you might also like to try my Butternut Squash & Sage Fritters.
What Are Potato Fritters?
Potato fritters, also known as potato latkes, are a combination of shredded or grated potatoes, a batter of flour and egg as well as herbs and spices (optional). The potato fritters batter is then fried, baked or air fried to make crispy fritters.
Why You'll Love this Recipe
You will love this potato fritters recipe because they are:
- gluten free and dairy free.
- oil free if baked or air fried.
- the perfect savoury fritter for breakfast, snacks, sides or appetizers.
- made using only 7 simple ingredients.
All of the ingredients in this recipe are available from most local grocery stores. You will need:
- brown onion
- rice flour
- large egg
- sea salt (or Kosher salt)
- extra virgin olive oil (for frying)
See recipe card for quantities.
- large mixing bowl
- frying pan, air fryer oven or oven
- measuring cups and spoons
- cheese cloth or nut milk bag
- paper towels
- box grater or food processor
How to Make Potato Fritters
Follow these simple steps to make the most delicious, crispy fried potato fritters!
STEP 1: Grate potatoes. Place a nut milk bag or cheese cloth over a large bowl. Half fill the bowl with cold water. Grate the potatoes into the nut milk bag or cheese cloth. Pick up the nut milk bag or cheese cloth and squeeze excess liquid out of the grated potatoes. Rinse out the mixing bowl and dry it. Return the grated potatoes back to the bowl.
STEP 2: Create fritter batter. To the shredded potatoes add the grated onion and garlic as well as the rice flour, sea salt, chives and egg to the bowl. Use a fork to whisk until well combined.
STEP 3: Shallow fry crispy potato fritters. Pour enough olive oil in a frypan or large skillet so that the oil is around 4 millimetres deep. Bring pan to a medium heat to heat oil. Once hot, drop spoonfuls of batter into the oil, using a fork to spread out into a round shape.
Fry until golden brown on each side. Once golden, remove from the oil and transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
How to Make Potato Fritters in Oven
- Follow steps one and two to create the batter.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (392 F).
- Line a baking tray with a baking sheet and place spoonfuls of batter onto the parchment paper. Shape into round fritters.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until golden.
Note: Oven baked fritters are a great way to avoid extra oils. Because of this, they aren't quite as crispy as pan fried potato fritters.
How to Make Potato Fritters in Air Fryer
- Follow steps one and two to create the batter.
- Line the air fryer basket with parchment paper and place spoonfuls of batter onto the parchment paper. Shape into round fritters.
- Air fry at 180 degrees Celsius (356 F) for 18 minutes or until golden and crisp to your liking.
Note: Like with oven baked potato fritters, Air Fryer Potato fritters are a great way to avoid extra oils. While they are slightly crispier than oven baked fritters, they aren't as golden and crispy as pan fried potato fritters.
What to Eat With Potato Fritters
There are so many ways to serve potato fritters! Here are some ideas:
- serve with your favourite dipping sauce or dressing like our Avocado Green Goddess Dressing or Lemon Tahini Dressing.
- Serve alongside bacon, eggs and wilted spinach for a delicious breakfast!
- top with lemon sour cream (or our cashew sour cream for dairy free) and smoked salmon.
Consume straight away or store in an airtight container in the fridge. If you're wondering how to crisp up fried potato fritters - simply add to the oven or air fryer and bake until crispy.
Can I freeze potato fritters? Yes! Layer each potato fritter with parchment paper in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months.
Here are some substitutions that can be made in this recipe.
- Potatoes - use sweet potato or purple sweet potato instead.
- Chives - use any other fresh herbs such as parsley or coriander.
- Onions - swap for finely chopped green onions or leek.
- Garlic - use ½ teaspoon of garlic powder instead.
- Rice flour - use any other gluten free flour like buckwheat flour or chickpea flour. For non-gluten free you can use all purpose flour.
Here are some fun variations that can be made with this recipe.
- Indian - add Indian spices such as garam masala and turmeric to the batter before frying.
- Cheese - add ½ cup of grated cheddar cheese to the batter before frying.
- Chilli - add ground black pepper and chilli flakes to the batter. Serve topped with sweet chilli sauce.
- Mashed Potato Fritters
- Box grater
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Frying pan
- Egg Flip
- Nut milk bag
- 3 medium potatoes grated (380 grams)
- 1 egg
- 1 brown onion grated
- ¼ cup rice flour
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon chives finely chopped
- olive oil extra virgin, for frying
- Place a nut milk bag or cheese cloth over the top of a large mixing bowl. Half fill the bowl with water. Grate the potato and place in the nut milk bag, making sure all of the potato is submerged under water.
- Pull the sides of the bag or cheese cloth up and squeeze out excess liquid from the potatoes. Clean the bowl and return grated potato to bowl.
- Add the egg, grated brown onion, rice flour, salt and chives to the bowl. Use a fork to whisk.
- Add enough olive oil to a pan so that it is around 3 millimetres deep. Heat to a medium temperature. Drop spoonfuls of batter into the hot oil and use the fork to form each fritter into a round shape. Fry until golden brown on the bottom, flip and then fry until golden brown on the top.
- Transfer golden brown fritters to a paper towel lined plate, while cooking remaining fritters.
- Serve warm with your choice of toppings.
StorageStore in an airtight container in the fridge. To make crispy again, reheat in the oven or air fryer. Fritters can be frozen in an airtight container with baking paper between each layer.
Air Fryer & Oven Baked InstructionsSee blog post on how to cook fritters in the air fryer or oven.
Did you make this recipe? Tell us how you went by giving the recipe a star rating and commenting below.