This cashew sour cream recipe is simple to make, requiring only 4 easy-to-find ingredients. It is an excellent dairy free and vegan alternative to regular sour cream.Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
Are you dairy intolerant and feeling a little sad about it? I have been dairy intolerant for EVER and trust me, I get that it is sad. I used to love sour cream so much, just not the sick belly feeling I had afterwards. Since I discovered that I can make a completely dairy free sour cream out of cashews I was in heaven. And better yet, it is so easy to make!
How to Make Cashew Sour Cream
With only 4 ingredients, this recipe is a no brainer. To make dairy free sour cream you will need:
- cashews soaked in water for at least 2 hours
- apple cider vinegar
To make sour cream add all of the ingredients into your blender and blend on high until smooth and creamy.
Tips for Making Vegan Sour Cream
This sour cream recipe is so simple but here are a few tips to help you along your way:
- I find that this recipe works best in a bullet blender but you could also use a food processor or other high powered blender. A high powered blender will yield a smoother, creamier end product.
- If you don't have apple cider vinegar you can also use lemon juice.
- Add a pinch of sea salt to begin with and adjust seasoning at the end according to taste.
- You may wish to add a little extra apple cider vinegar or lemon juice if a tangier sour cream is desired.
- Make sure to use raw cashews and not dry roasted and/or salted cashews.
- If you end up forgetting to soak your cashews you can soak the cashews in boiling water for around 30 minutes to speed up the process.
Pin Me For Later
- Bullet blender or other high powered blender
- Measuring cups
- 1 cup cashews raw and soaked in water for at least 2 hours
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup water
- sea salt to taste
- Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Taste sour cream and add more salt if necessary. More apple cider vinegar if more of a tang is desired.
- Store in a jar with lid on in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Did you make this recipe? Let us know how you went by leaving a rating and a comment below.