A "Nutella" Porridge recipe that is made using rolled oats and a healthy chocolate hazelnut spread, topped with raspberries! This chocolate porridge recipe is delicious and luxurious while being dairy free, refined sugar free and healthy!
Porridge makes for a healthy breakfast meal, but that doesn't mean that it has to be boring! Stirring a healthy Nutella alternative through porridge takes your breakfast from lame to fame.
Make this porridge with just six ingredients!
- Rolled oats - if you are gluten intolerant you can buy non-contaminated oats that are wheat free.
- Plant-based milk - I have used coconut beverage but you could also use almond milk, oat milk or any other milk of your choice.
- Linseed meal - also known as flaxseed meal.
- Chocolate Hazelnut Spread - I have used the Pana-Organic choc hazelnut spread.
- Raspberries - optional
See recipe card for quantities.
How to Make Nutella Porridge
The best thing about porridge is just how easy it is to make. Follow the steps below for a perfect chocolate hazelnut (Nutella) porridge.
STEP 1: Boil. Add the rolled oats, milk, water and linseed meal to a large saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring to combine.
STEP 2: Simmer. Reduce to a simmer and continue to stir frequently until porridge has thickened and rolled oats are tender.
STEP 3: Add chocolate hazelnut spread. Turn off the heat and add the chocolate hazelnut spread, stir through to combine.
STEP 4: Serve. Serve topped with fresh raspberries and an extra swirl of chocolate hazelnut spread. Eat warm.
Hint: Leftover porridge can be stored in a glass airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat in a saucepan on a low heat with a dash of milk or water.
Below are some substitutions that can be made to this recipe.
- Rolled Oats - instead of rolled oats you can use quinoa flakes, rice flakes, rolled spelt or rolled barley.
- Raspberries - fresh raspberries can be swapped for any fresh berry or fruit.
- Flaxseed Meal - flaxseed meal can be swapped for hemp seeds or chia seeds.
You will need very basic, minimal equipment to make this recipe.
- Large Saucepan
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Wooden Spoon (or dessert spoon for stirring)
Storing Chocolate Hazelnut Porridge
Store any leftover porridge in the fridge in an airtight glass or BPA free container. Cooked porridge can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Yes. Porridge can be reheated in a saucepan on a low heat with a dash of milk or water. Stir frequently to avoid porridge sticking to the bottom of the pan.
This is entirely dependent on the recipe. This chocolate porridge recipe is healthy as it uses a chocolate hazelnut spread that has no refined sugars.
You can tell when porridge is ready when all of water has been absorbed by the rolled oats, creating a thick creamy mixture.
- 1 Large saucepan
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Wooden Spoon
- Breakfast Bowl for serving
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup coconut beverage
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon linseed meal
- 2 tablespoons chocolate hazelnut spread
- ⅓ cup raspberries fresh
- Add the rolled oats, water, milk and linseed meal to a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring to combine.1 cup rolled oats, 1 cup coconut beverage, 2 cups water, 1 tablespoon linseed meal
- Reduce to a simmer and continue stirring frequently until porridge is thickened and rolled oats are tender.
- Turn off the heat and add the chocolate hazelnut spread. Stir to combine.2 tablespoons chocolate hazelnut spread
- Serve warm topped with raspberries.⅓ cup raspberries