This vegan quinoa porridge is a hearty and nutritious start to the day. Made on plant based milk, this creamy quinoa and oat porridge is delicious served with lightly stewed strawberries. This recipe is wheat free, dairy free and refined sugar free. The quinoa adds a beautiful earthy flavour to this porridge with a subtle taste of lemon from the lemon zest.
ContentsJump to Recipe
Ingredients for Quinoa Oatmeal
The ingredients for this recipe can be found in most supermarkets and health food stores. For the quinoa porridge you will need:
- white quinoa
- rolled oats
- hemp seeds
- lemon zest
For the stewed strawberries you will need:
- fresh strawberries
- pure maple syrup
- lemon zest
To serve you will need:
- coconut yoghurt
- natural flaked almonds, toasted
You can top this porridge with just about anything you like. I have included how to make the stewed strawberries in the recipe, however some other porridge toppings you might like to try include:
- any fresh seasonal fruit
- stewed or poached pears or apples
- a dollop of nut butter
- pepitas, sunflower seeds or chia seeds
- cacao nibs
- roughly chopped and toasted cashews
- roughly chopped Brazil nuts
- any other type of yoghurt
- dairy or plant based milk
Perfect for Meal Prep
To prep this breakfast ahead of time:
- follow the recipe to make the quinoa porridge and stewed strawberries.
- Divide the coconut yogurt, strawberries and porridge between 3 x 375mL jars.
- Place the lid on each jar and store in the fridge.
- To re-heat, transfer to a saucepan and top with a splash of milk and heat on medium, stirring while heating.
- Transfer to a bowl and top with toasted almonds.
Store for up to 3 days in the fridge.
Did You Love This Quinoa Porridge Recipe? Try these oat recipes...
Pin For Later
- 2 saucepans
- measuring cups and spoons
- Wooden Spoon
- Sharp knife
- Chopping Board
- zester or grater
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup quinoa white
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 2 cups almond milk or any other milk of choice
- 2 cups water
- 250 g strawberries washed, tops removed & halved
- 2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ cup yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon flaked almonds toasted
- To make the porridge, add the oats, quinoa, hemp seeds, milk, water and 1 teaspoon of lemon zest to a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer until soft and tender, stirring throughout to prevent sticking.
- While the porrdige is cooking, add the strawberries, remaining lemon zest, maple syrup and water to a small saucepan. Stir to coat evenly and then bring to a gentle simmer on a low-medium heat. Stir the strawberries occassionally and once soft, turn off the heat.
- To serve, add a serve of porridge to a bowl and top with a few spoonfuls of strawberries, coconut yoghurt and flaked almonds.
Did you make this recipe? Let us know how you went by rating the recipe and commenting below.