This lemon smoothie recipe is SO so delicious, quick and easy to make. Throw together in all of 5 minutes and enjoy a dairy free, refined sugar free and plant based smoothie that is perfect for a quick breakfast or healthy snack. With a nice tartness, this smoothie is extra refreshing.
This smoothie is filled with health benefits. Not only does it contain 11 grams of protein per serve, it also contains plant-based omega 3 (from the hemp seeds) and other essential fatty acids, as well as complex carbohydrates to keep you fuller for longer.
What You'll Love About This Recipe
It's always a win/win situation when you make a smoothie, they are easy to make, taste delicious and can be so full of nutrients as well. I love this dairy free lemon smoothie and I know you will too! Here's why:
- this creamy lemon smoothie is made using simple ingredients.
- it's the perfect cold drink for a hot day!
- made dairy free, using almond milk and soaked cashews for extra creaminess.
- filled with healthy fat, plant-based protein and complex carbohydrates, this is a balanced smoothie recipe.
Ingredients Notes & Substitutions
There are only 5 ingredients in this yummy smoothie recipe. They are:
- whole lemon - including the fresh lemon juice and zest. I love using the whole lemon for extra lemony flavour, however if you would like a more milk lemon flavour then you can start with just the lemon zest. I would recommend using organic lemons to reduce pesticide exposure, however, if you use non-organic, just be sure to thoroughly wash your lemon before using.
- cashews - the cashews are soaked, giving this smoothie extra creaminess. You can also swap the soaked cashews for a half cup of Greek yogurt or regular yogurt.
- almond milk - or any other dairy free milks like coconut milk beverage, oat milk, soy milk etc.
- hemp seeds - can be swapped for chia seeds or flaxseeds.
- frozen ripe banana
There are plenty of ways to boost this vegan lemon smoothie even more, or to change it up to suit your own personal tastes. Here's some ideas:
- add a scoop of vanilla protein powder or unflavoured protein powder - additional protein would make this a great breakfast smoothie!
- add pure maple syrup or two medjool dates for some extra sweetness if desired - personally I find if you make this smoothie with coconut milk beverage it has enough natural sweetness not to need the dates or maple syrup. However if using almond milk it could definitely use extra sweetness.
- use a half teaspoon of vanilla extract for an extra vanilla kick.
- using fresh ginger can help to support a healthy immune system.
Healthy Smoothie Toppers
I love adding a little crunch factor and flavour to the top of my smoothies. Some ideas for smoothie toppers are:
- buckwheat groats
- cacao nibs
- toasted granola
- extra lemon zest
- a drizzle of almond butter
How to Make a Lemon Smoothie
In this easy smoothie recipe, I've used lemon zest and juice to get that beautiful lemon flavour.
Simply add all of your ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
Tip: This smoothie recipe has a thinner consistency. If you would like to make a smoothie bowl, will you will need to start with just a small amount of milk until you get the desired consistency.
- For the creamiest recipe, the cashews need to be soaked in water for at least 3 hours. If you're short on time, you can use boiling water to soak the cashews for 30 minutes for a similar result.
- Use frozen bananas for extra creaminess.
- Add ice to the blender before blending if you would like an extra cold, frappe style smoothie.
Base for Smoothie
I've used my favourite go-to base for this smoothie - frozen bananas. They really add so much creaminess and are an excellent natural energy boost. Using the soaked cashews as well makes this smoothie naturally high in plant based protein (11grams per serve). This means you will be fuller for longer, which is always a plus!
If you're looking for a boost of veggies, you could replace half of the frozen banana with cooked frozen cauliflower. You may need to add some dates or maple syrup for additional sweetness if doing this however.
- High Powered Blender
- Measuring Cups & Spoons
- Glass tumblers
- 2 bananas frozen, sliced
- ½ cup cashews soaked for 3 hours
- 2 cups almond milk or other plant-based milk
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1 lemon zest
- 40 millilitres lemon juice or the juice of one lemon
- lemon zest
- buckwheat groats
- Add the chopped frozen banana, soaked cashews, milk, hemp seeds, lemon juice and lemon zest to a blender. Blend on high until smooth and creamy.2 bananas, ½ cup cashews, 2 cups almond milk, 1 tablespoon hemp seeds, 1 lemon, 40 millilitres lemon juice
- Top with extra hemp seeds, lemon zest and buckwheat groats if desired. Serve straight away.lemon zest, buckwheat groats
- if short on time, soak cashews in boiling water for 30 minutes.
- add ice for an extra cold, frappe style smoothie.
- drink straight away or store in sealed, air tight glass jar and refrigerate (to consume on the same day).
- protein powder
- medjool dates
- pure maple syrup
- top with a drizzle of almond butter
Did you make this recipe? Let us know how you went by rating the recipe and commenting below.