This breakfast smoothie recipe is really an any time of the day kind of smoothie. This dairy free smoothie recipe is nutritionally balanced and refined sugar free (not to mention kid approved!)Jump to Recipe
Who doesn't love a breakfast smoothie?
We're always on the search for healthy breakfast recipes and smoothies definitely tick all of the boxes! It's easy to make the same old thing with smoothies so I'm here to shake things up a bit with this Banana and Raspberry Swirl Breakfast Smoothie. I love a good raspberry smoothie AND I love banana smoothies, so why not combine the two? Smoothies make for a nutrition filled (and filling) snack OR a quick on-the-go breakfast. I always make sure that we have smoothie ingredients in the freezer ready to go, which means when we run out of fresh, fridge ingredients we still have what we need for a healthy snack or breakfast.
This plant based smoothie has two flavours, banana and raspberry. But guess what, there is no extra washing up! It's all made in the same blender with no need to wash in between. First you make the banana layer by adding the bananas, almond butter, oats, hemp seeds and almond milk to the blender. Blend this up and then pour half of the mixture divided across two glasses. This means you will have half of the banana mixture left in the blender. Next you add the raspberries and more almond milk. Blend this up until its nice and smooth and then top the glasses up with the berry smoothie. Stir the smoothies gently with the handle end of the spoon to create a swirl. Done!
Breakfast Smoothie Ingredients
It's important to remember when it comes to smoothies that they still need to be nutritionally balanced. Making a smoothie on apple juice + fruit + ice cream is definitely not a healthy option. Choosing the right healthy ingredients is key to a nutritionally balanced and low-sugar smoothie. Some nutrient filled ingredients to use include:
- nut butters
- natural protein powder
- plant based milk like almond milk
- frozen bananas
- frozen berries
- frozen zucchini
- baby spinach
- hemp seeds
- chia seeds
This is not an exhaustive list but gives you a good idea of the types of ingredients that work really well in a breakfast smoothie and provide a high dose of nutrients. Remember that it's important to have some complex carbohydrates, protein and good fats in a balanced meal.
Looking for more breakfast recipes? Try these...
- High powered blender
- 2 medium bananas frozen and chopped
- 1 ½ cups raspberries frozen
- 3 cups almond milk
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 tablespoon oats
- Place the bananas, almond butter, oats, hemp seeds and half the almond milk into a blender and blend on high until smoothie is smooth.2 medium bananas, 1 tablespoon hemp seeds, 1 tablespoon almond butter, 1 tablespoon oats, 3 cups almond milk
- Divide half of the smoothie mixture between two glasses and return blender to motor.
- To the remaining banana smoothie mixture add raspberries and remaining almond milk. Blend on high until smooth.3 cups almond milk, 1 ½ cups raspberries
- Divide the raspberry smoothie between the two glasses. Use the handle end of a spoon to swirl the smoothie mixture. Drink immedietaly.