These Honey Candied Walnuts are a delicious snack, the perfect sweet and crunchy addition to your favorite salad or perfect served alongside dips and cheeses on a cheese board. Made using just three ingredients, raw walnuts are coated in a delicious honey mix and baked until golden brown.
Traditional candied walnuts are made using melted down refined sugar. Making them with a honey glaze not only tastes delicious, but are healthier than the original. I love using these Honey Candied Walnuts in my Beetroot Salad with Goat's Cheese, but you can add them to any salad or just snack on them straight from the jar if you like!
For even more flavor, add these honey candied walnuts along with my Quick Pickled Red Onions to your next salad!
What's To Love About Honey Candied Walnuts
- a healthy snack - walnuts are a great source of minerals, vitamins and healthy fatty acids, like omega 3. They're a healthy, crunchy snack for any sweet tooth.
- refined sugar free - Naturally sweetened with pure honey, this delicious recipe is refined sugar free.
- easy recipe - this honey candied walnuts recipe is extremely easy to make, with just a few simple steps.
- perfect for the holiday season - give this healthified treat as gifts in little food safe gift bags, add to salads, use as a crunchy topping for roasted butternut squash or add to platters. These candied walnuts are a great addition to both sweet and savory dishes!
Ingredients Notes & Substitutions
You only need 3 basic ingredients for this simple recipe, all of which can be found at your local grocery store. Find the ingredient quantities in the recipe card at the bottom of this post. Below are the ingredients along with any notes and possible substitutions.
- walnut halves - walnuts are the key ingredient in this recipe, however you can use this technique with other nuts like pecans or almonds.
- pure honey - I have only tested this recipe with honey, however it should work with pure maple syrup or brown rice malt syrup.
- sea salt flakes - this is an optional ingredient, however it adds a nice depth of flavor to the walnuts. I find with a little sea salt they are the perfect balance of sweet and savory.
How to Make Crunchy Honey Candied Walnuts
There are only a few steps to this easy recipe. Follow my instructions step-by-step for best results.
The first step is to preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (356 F) and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
Next, add the honey and the salt to a medium saucepan on a medium-low heat. Stir to combine. Once the honey starts to bubble, turn off the heat and add the walnuts to the saucepan.
Stir the walnuts until they are all evenly coated in the honey mixture. Immediately pour out the walnuts onto the parchment paper lined baking sheet. Spread out into a single layer.
Place walnuts into the oven for 7 minutes to bake. All ovens heat at slightly different temperatures so it is important to keep an eye on them so they don't burn. Once they are golden, remove the baking tray from the oven.
Allow the walnuts to cool to room temperature. Once cooled, use a spatula to remove from the parchment paper and break up the walnuts.
Store the cooled walnuts in an airtight container at room temperature in a dry place. You can also store them in the fridge if preferred. They will keep for a minimum of 4 weeks. The honey glazed walnuts do get a little sticky to touch after a few hours, but are still delicious!
- crumble over ice cream or fresh fruit and yogurt.
- add to salads.
- use to top banana chia pudding, chocolate chia pudding or coconut chia pudding.
- use to top porridge or overnight oats.
- add to a cheese platter or charcuterie board.
- Small saucepan
- Sheet pan or baking tray
- Parchment paper
- Measuring Cups
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 cups walnuts
- Pinch sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (356 F) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pour honey into a small saucepan and bring to a medium-low heat. Gently warm the honey until it is thin and runny. Once the honey starts to bubble, turn off the heat.
- Add in the walnuts, stirring to coat all of the walnuts in honey.
- Pour the honeyed walnuts out onto a parchment paper lined baking tray. Spread out the walnuts across the base of the tray into a single layer and place into the oven to bake for 10 minutes.
- After 7 minutes, remove from the oven and allow to cool. Once completely cooled, store in an airtight container.