A satisfying and delicious Strawberry Overnight Oats recipe that is dairy free and vegan. Overnight oats are the perfect meal to add to a meal prep session as they are fast to put together and are highly nutritional. Perfect for a healthy breakfast on the go!Jump to Recipe
Why I love Oats For Breakfast
I love oats for breakfast and this Strawberry Overnight Oats recipe is my new favourite for a healthy breakfast on the go. Oats have lots of health benefits, which include:
- they are high in fibre, which help digestion and reduce cholesterol
- oats contain an amino acid called glutamine. Glutamine is beneficial for gut health and promotes the production of the neurotransmitter GABA. GABA is a calming neurotransmitter, which helps to reduce anxiety.
- Eating a breakfast high in healthy fats, complex carbohydrates and protein, like this one, will help to provide sustained energy, without causing blood sugar spikes.
This is a vegan overnight oats recipe, which means it is dairy free.
The ingredients needed for this overnight oats recipe can be found in most supermarkets. These include:
- Rolled oats - I prefer to buy non-contaminated rolled oats as they are wheat free and low gluten.
- Chia seeds - chia seeds are a great source of plant based omega 3, calcium, magnesium, fibre and protein.
- Hemp seeds - hemp seeds are also an excellent source of plant based omega 3 and protein.
- Strawberries - strawberries are a great source of vitamin C!
- Coconut yoghurt - I love coconut yoghurt as a dairy free yoghurt alternative, however you can use whichever yoghurt you prefer.
- Coconut beverage - a lot of coconut beverages contain added sugar and gums. When purchasing check the ingredients first to make sure it contains just coconut milk, water and sea salt.
- Vanilla bean - you could also just use 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract if you have this on hand already.
How to Make Strawberry Overnight Oats
Overnight oats are quick and easy to make! It's as simple as throwing all of the ingredients into a bowl, mixing to combine and setting aside in the fridge (covered) to soak.
I have made this recipe to serve two people, however I find that I can never finish one serve. So for me, this recipe creates more like 4 serves. It really depends on your own appetite and how much you feel like eating in the morning.
Meal Prepping Overnight Oats
These vegan overnight oats are SO good for meal prepping, in fact, they are the PERFECT thing to meal prep.
Personally I prefer to prep them as I have outlined in the recipe, by adding all of the ingredients to a large mixing bowl, leaving to soak and then transferring to a large jar to keep in the fridge. This way I can just pour as much or as little as I feel like in the morning into my bowl.
BUT you can actually divide the ingredients between 2-4 jars (again, depending on what serving size suits you). Then stir the ingredients in each individual jar, place the lid on and pop them into the fridge to soak.
Adding a Sweetener
I like to sweeten my strawberry overnight oats with pure maple syrup. For this recipe I've opted to add maple syrup when serving but if you prefer, you can just add it into the overnight oats mixture with the rest of the ingredients.
Personally I've left it out until serving as sometimes I don't feel like something overly sweet and other times I want alllll of the sugar. So adding maple syrup when serving means that I can adjust the sweetness to what I feel like on the day.
More Oat Recipes
If you loved this Overnight Oats Recipe and you'd like to try some more oats for breakfast recipes, then you might like to give these a go...
- Measuring Cups & Spoons
- Large bowl or jar
- Two small jars
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 250 g strawberries rinsed, trimmed & diced
- ¼ cup coconut yoghurt or other yoghurt of choice
- 1 pod vanilla remove seeds with a sharp knife and retain
- 1 ½ cups coconut beverage or other plant based milk
- 2 tablespoon coconut yoghurt or other yoghurt of choice
- 2 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- To a bowl or large jar add the rolled oats, chia seeds, hemp seeds, strawberries, coconut yoghurt, vanilla seeds and milk.1 cup rolled oats, 1 tablespoon chia seeds, 1 tablespoon hemp seeds, 250 g strawberries, ¼ cup coconut yoghurt, 1 ½ cups coconut beverage, 1 pod vanilla
- Stir to combine.
- Cover the bowl or place a lid on the jar and place into the fridge overnight or for at least 4 hours to soak.
- To serve, add the desired amount of overnight oats to a bowl, top with extra yoghurt as well as a drizzle of pure maple syrup.2 tablespoon coconut yoghurt, 2 tablespoon pure maple syrup
StorageStore in an airtight jar or container for up to 3 days.
Did you make this recipe? Let us know how you went by rating the recipe and commenting below.