A satisfying and delicious coconut milk Strawberry Overnight Oats recipe, made extra creamy with coconut yoghurt, hemp seeds, chia seeds and vanilla. These strawberry, hemp, coconut overnight oats are dairy free and vegan.
Overnight oats are the perfect meal for meal prepping as they are fast to put together and are highly nutritional. Perfect for a healthy breakfast on the go!
What You'll Love About This Recipe
- strawberry overnight oats make for a healthy and easy breakfast
- great to meal prep for a few days of grab and go breakfasts!
- made using nourishing, simple ingredients.
Health Benefits of Rolled Oats
I love oats for breakfast and this Strawberry Overnight Oats recipe is my new favourite for a healthy breakfast on the go. Oats have lots of health benefits, which include:
- they are high in fibre, which help digestion and reduce cholesterol
- oats contain an amino acid called glutamine. Glutamine is beneficial for gut health and promotes the production of the neurotransmitter GABA. GABA is a calming neurotransmitter, which helps to reduce anxiety.
- Eating a breakfast high in healthy fats, complex carbohydrates and protein, like this one, will help to provide sustained energy, without causing blood sugar spikes.
This is a vegan overnight oats recipe, which means it is dairy free.
The ingredients needed for this overnight oats recipe can be found in most supermarkets. These include:
- Rolled oats - I prefer to buy non-contaminated rolled oats as they are wheat free and low gluten. Also known as old fashioned oats. You can also use quick oats.
- Chia seeds - chia seeds are a great source of plant based omega 3, calcium, magnesium, fibre and protein.
- Hemp seeds - hemp seeds are also an excellent source of plant based omega 3 and protein.
- Fresh Strawberries - strawberries are a great source of vitamin C!
- Coconut yoghurt - I love coconut yoghurt as a dairy free yoghurt alternative, however you can use whichever yoghurt you prefer.
- Coconut beverage - a lot of coconut beverages contain added sugar and gums. When purchasing check the ingredients first to make sure it contains just coconut milk, water and sea salt.
- Vanilla bean
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Large Mason jar or bowl
- Sealable jar x 2
How to Make Strawberry Overnight Oats
Overnight oats are quick and easy to make! It's as simple as throwing all of the ingredients into a bowl, mixing to combine and setting aside in the fridge (covered) to soak.
STEP 1: Add Ingredients to a bowl. To a large mixing bowl or large jar with a lid add the rolled oats, chopped strawberries, chia seeds, hemp seeds, milk, yoghurt and the vanilla beans scraped from the centre of the vanilla pod.
STEP 2: Stir. If using a bowl, stir to combine. If using a jar, place lid on and shake to combine. Cover and refrigerate for around 4 hours.
STEP 3: Store. Divide the overnight oats between jars, firmly secure the lids and store in the fridge.
The best thing about overnight oats is how versatile they are. You can make the below substitutions.
- coconut milk - swap for almond milk or any other type of milk.
- coconut yoghurt - swap for coconut cream or greek yogurt.
- chia seeds and hemp seeds - swap for any other seeds like flax seeds or sunflower seeds.
- vanilla pod - swap for vanilla extract
- high protein - add a spoonful of protein powder for extra protein.
- almond butter - top with a spoonful of almond butter.
- extra coconut - top with coconut flakes or coconut chips.
I have made this recipe to serve two people, however I find that I can never finish one serve. So for me, this recipe creates more like 4 serves. It really depends on your own appetite and how much you feel like eating in the morning.
Meal Prepping Overnight Oats
These vegan overnight oats are SO good for meal prepping, in fact, they are the PERFECT thing to meal prep.
Personally I prefer to prep them as I have outlined in the recipe, by adding all of the ingredients to a large mixing bowl, leaving to soak and then transferring to a large jar to keep in the fridge. This way I can just pour as much or as little as I feel like in the morning into my bowl.
BUT you can actually divide the ingredients between 2-4 jars (again, depending on what serving size suits you). Then stir the ingredients in each individual jar, place the lid on and pop them into the fridge to soak.
Why Put Chia Seeds in Overnight Oats?
Chia seeds are a good plant-based source of omega 3. They also contain fibre, calcium, magnesium and many other nutrients, which makes them beneficial to add to any meal. Chia seeds also absorb a large amount of liquid, which helps to make the overnight oats more creamy.
Adding a Sweetener
I like to sweeten my strawberry overnight oats with pure maple syrup. For this recipe I've opted to add maple syrup when serving but if you prefer, you can just add it into the overnight oats mixture with the rest of the ingredients.
Personally I've left it out until serving as sometimes I don't feel like something overly sweet and other times I want alllll of the sugar. So adding maple syrup when serving means that I can adjust the sweetness to what I feel like on the day.
Whether you can freeze overnight oats or not will depend on the individual recipe. For Strawberry Overnight Oats, these ingredients don't stand up well to freezing.
Overnight oats keep well in the fridge for up to four days once made, so long as fresh ingredients have been used.
Overnight oats are a combination of oats with water and/or milk, that refrigerated overnight, allowing the oats to absorb all of the liquid. Overnight oats come in a variety of flavours.
Rolled oats are recommended for making overnight oats.
Overnight oats are best stored in a glass jar with a lid or a BPA free container with a lid.
These strawberry overnight oats contain 12 grams of protein per serve. You can increase this by adding in a protein powder of your choice.
More Oat Recipes
If you loved this Overnight Oats Recipe and you'd like to try some more oats for breakfast recipes, then you might like to give these a go...
How to Make Pressure Cooker Steel Cut Oats
- Measuring Cups & Spoons
- Large bowl or jar
- Two small jars
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 250 g strawberries rinsed, trimmed & diced
- ¼ cup coconut yoghurt or other yoghurt of choice
- 1 pod vanilla remove seeds with a sharp knife and retain
- 1 ½ cups coconut beverage or other plant based milk
- 2 tablespoon coconut yoghurt or other yoghurt of choice
- 2 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- To a bowl or large jar add the rolled oats, chia seeds, hemp seeds, strawberries, coconut yoghurt, vanilla seeds and milk.1 cup rolled oats, 1 tablespoon chia seeds, 1 tablespoon hemp seeds, 250 g strawberries, ¼ cup coconut yoghurt, 1 ½ cups coconut beverage, 1 pod vanilla
- Stir to combine.
- Cover the bowl or place a lid on the jar and place into the fridge overnight or for at least 4 hours to soak.
- To serve, add the desired amount of overnight oats to a bowl, top with extra yoghurt as well as a drizzle of pure maple syrup.2 tablespoon coconut yoghurt, 2 tablespoon pure maple syrup
StorageStore in an airtight jar or container for up to 3 days.
Did you make this recipe? Let us know how you went by rating the recipe and commenting below.
For more healthy eating inspiration follow Our Nourishing Table on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and TikTok.
Shilpi & Etienne
We love oats at home! Whilst the boys prefer it as a porridge, I quite enjoy the overnight oats! Now that summer is here, will definitely give this recipe a go!
I'm a big fan as well! Porridge in winter and granola or overnight oats in spring and summer, yum!
What a fresh and delicious recipe, it would be perfect for on a hot Summer day for breakfast!
Thank you so much, I love overnight oats for a Summer breakfast.
Gorgeous - and your photography is on point as always. Can't wait to try 🙂
Thank you so much 🙏🏻
Mornings are always super hectic in our house with the kids, love the idea of being able to whip this up the night beforehand after the kids have gone to bed and having something easy and healthy to grab in the morning, yum!
I feel the same way, mornings are so busy for us as well so having breakfast ready to go ticks one thing off the list 😊