This Beetroot Salad is uncomplicated and delicious. Sweet, salty, crunchy and fresh, this salad has it all. The honey candied walnuts add a delightful sweetness and crunch to the salad, balanced out beautifully with the soft goats chèvre and topped with a honey, balsamic dressing. Read the post to see how to boil beetroot.
This beetroot salad recipe is gluten free and refined sugar free.Jump to Recipe
Ingredients for Beetroot Salad
The ingredients for this beetroot, feta, walnut salad are straight forward and include:
- whole, raw beetroot
- rocket (or arugula)
- goats chèvre
- balsamic vinegar
- seeded mustard
- extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
How to Boil Beetroot
This beetroot salad recipe calls for boiled beetroots. Boiling beetroot is very easy, it just takes a little bit of time (mostly hands off time though!). This is how to boil beetroot:
- Trim the ends from each piece of fresh beetroot.
- Place beetroot, with the skin on, into a large saucepan and cover with water.
- Place the lid onto the saucepan and bring to a boil on the stovetop. Boil for ten minutes and then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer in the pot for 1 hour. Test to see if the beetroot is cooked by inserting a skewer into the beetroot. If the skewer can pierce the beetroot to the centre then the beetroot is ready. If not, then continue to cook with the lid on for a further 30 minutes and then test again. (Cooking times will vary depending on the size of the beetroot).
- Turn off the heat and strain the boiling water into the sink. Top the beetroot with cold water and set aside for ten minutes to allow the beetroot too cool.
- Pick up the beetroot and use fingers to peel the skin off. The skin should peel off very easily. Repeat this step with remaining beetroot and then discard the skin.
How to Make Beetroot Feta Walnut Salad
Once the beetroot is boiled, the remaining steps of this recipe are quick and painless.
- Firstly, make the honey balsamic dressing by adding all ingredients to a jar and shaking vigorously to combine.
- Make the candied walnuts by spreading walnuts onto a baking paper lined tray and drizzling with honey. Bake for 8 minutes and then cool on the bench top.
- Then rinse the rocket and arrange on a serving platter or in a salad bowl.
- Top with sliced beetroot, goats chèvre, candied walnuts and honey balsamic dressing.
Are Beetroot Leaves Edible?
Yes! Beetroot leaves are edible! When buying beetroot, look for a bunch with the freshest looking leaves. When you prepare the beetroot for this recipe, remove the beetroot leaves and rinse. The best way to store beetroot leaves is:
- take 2 sheets of paper towel and fold together into a rectangle.
- Dampen the paper towel and place at the bottom of a glass container.
- Add the beetroot leaves, place the lid on and pop into the fridge.
You can replace the rocket in this recipe for the beetroot leaves if you like or keep them and use just the same as you would use lettuce.
Pin For Later
Loved this Beetroot Feta Walnut Salad recipe? Try these...
Prosciutto, Fig and Goats Cheese Salad
Autumn Roasted Veg Salad with Tahini Dressing
- Large Saucepan with Lid
- Sharp knife
- Jar with lid
- Measuring Cups & Spoons
- Chopping Board
- Baking Paper
- Baking Tray
- 3 medium beetroot ends trimmed
- ½ cup walnuts
- 1 tablespoon honey
Honey Balsamic Dressing
- 60 mL olive oil extra virgin
- 40 mL balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoon seeded mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- pinch sea salt
- 120 grams rocket arugula
- 100 grams goats chevre
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Add the trimmed beetroot to a large saucepan and top with water. Place the lid onto the saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes and then reduce to a simmer for one hour. After one hour, check to see if the beetroot is cooked by piercing with a skewer. If the beetroot can be easily pierced to the centre, it is cooked. If not, continue to cook for a further 30 minutes and then check again.3 medium beetroot
- Once cooked, turn off the heat and strain water into the sink. Top beetroot with cold water and let sit for 10 minutes to cool.
- Once cool, use fingers to peel the skin off the beetroot. Discard the skin and slice the beetroot into wedges.
- Meanwhile, candy the walnuts. Spread the walnuts out over a baking paper lined baking tray. Drizzle with honey and then place into the oven for 8 minutes. After 8 minutes, remove from the oven and allow to cool on the tray.½ cup walnuts, 1 tablespoon honey
Honey Balsamic Dressing
- Make the dressing by adding the extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, seeded mustard, honey and sea salt to a small jar. Screw the lid onto the jar firmly and then shake the jar vigorously to combine.60 mL olive oil, 40 mL balsamic vinegar, 2 teaspoon seeded mustard, 1 teaspoon honey, pinch sea salt
- To assemble the salad, spread rocket out onto serving platter or into a salad bowl. Top with beetroot wedges, and candied walnuts. Crumble feta over the top of the salad and then drizzle with balsamic dressing.100 grams goats chevre
- Serve straight away once dressed. If serving later, abstain from dressing salad until ready to serve.
- leftover dressing can be stored in the fridge in a sealed glass jar for one week.
- dress the salad just before serving, if making the salad for serving later then avoid dressing until serving.
Did you make this salad? Let us know how you went by rating the recipe and commenting below.
For more healthy eating inspiration, follow Our Nourishing Table on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and TikTok.
Leave a Reply