Filled with healthy fats, fiber, complex carbohydrates and protein, these chocolate chip overnight oats are a delicious and healthy start to the day. Meal prep them in advance for an excellent grab and go breakfast for those busy mornings.
With a smooth and creamy texture and dark chocolate chips dotted throughout, this easy overnight oats recipe is a no brainer.
This recipe was inspired by my Strawberry Overnight Oats and Peanut Butter Chocolate Overnight Oats. These creamy overnight oats are a fantastic healthy breakfast that tastes great! Level them up with your favorite toppings!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
If I haven't already sold you on this recipe then listen up, because I know you're going to love these delicious overnight oats and here's why:
- they are creamy and delicious with pops of chocolate chips in every mouthful.
- this recipe is dairy free, refined sugar free & wheat free.
- they are the perfect option for a healthy and quick breakfast, with a delicious texture.
- tilled with plant based essential fatty acids.
- oats are an excellent gut health food.
This overnight oats recipe requires a handful of very easy to find and simple ingredients. You will need:
- rolled oats - also known as old fashioned oats, I prefer to by contaminated rolled oats, meaning they have no traces of wheat or wheat gluten (also known as gliadin).
- yoghurt - I use coconut yoghurt but you could also use Greek yogurt or your yogurt of choice.
- flaxseed meal - flaxseeds are high in plant based omega 3, protein and dietary fiber.
- hemp seeds - hemp seeds are also a great source of plant based omega 3, as well as calcium, magnesium and range of other nutrients.
- dark chocolate chips - I like to buy good quality dark chocolate chips or vegan chocolate chips (to ensure they are dairy free). I also prefer using semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- almond milk - or your milk of choice.
- pure maple syrup - pure maple syrup contains no extra additives like maple flavoured syrup, which is made from high fructose corn syrup. It is more expensive but it is so worth it, not only because it is much healthy and unrefined but also because it tastes so much better!
- sea salt
- fresh raspberries
- more chocolate chips
Other toppings that you could use include:
- banana slices
- fresh berries
- nut butter
- cacao nibs
See the full recipe at the bottom of this post for ingredient quantities.
There are so many ingredient substitutions that you can make in this recipe depending on your taste preferences and ingredients that you have on hand. Here are some swaps that you can make.
- rolled oats - you can also use quick oats - rolled oats & quick oats (instant oats) are definitely the best type of oats to use, I wouldn't recommend using steel-cut oats.
- coconut yogurt - use your preferred type of natural yogurt or non-dairy yogurt.
- flaxseed meal - swap for chia seeds or more hemp seeds.
- hemp seeds - swap for chia seeds or more flaxseeds.
- almond milk - swap for milk of your choice such as cashew milk, oat milk or other dairy-free milk or cows milk if not dairy intolerant.
- pure maple syrup - use 1 teaspoon of honey or 1 teaspoon of brown sugar (such as coconut sugar or rapadura sugar).
Whilst I absolutely love these overnight oats just as they are, it's always fun to get a little creative in the kitchen. If you feel like changing this recipe up then here are some ideas for you.
- extra protein - add protein powder for a boost of protein.
- nutty - add almond butter, cashew butter or peanut butter for a delicious nutty flavour plus extra healthy fats and protein.
- banana chocolate chip overnight oats - add ½ a mashed banana per serve. For a banana bread flavour add ¼ teaspoon of ground cinnamon.
- double chocolate - add 1 tablespoon of cacao powder to the mixture.
Store these oats in an airtight container or mason jar in the fridge for 3-4 days. To meal prep, increase the quantities by how many serves you would like to make ahead.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Overnight Oats
This recipe is seriously one of the easiest things that you will make. Here's how.
STEP 1: Add ingredients to a glass. Add the rolled oats, coconut yoghurt, flaxseed meal, hemp seeds, dark chocolate chips, almond milk, sea salt and maple syrup to a glass tumbler or glass jar with a lid. Stir to combine.
STEP 2: Refrigerate. Cover the glass with compostable plastic wrap or a beeswax wrap (or place the lid firmly onto the jar if using a jar) and refrigerate overnight or for at least 4 hours.
STEP 3: Serve. Serve chocolate chip overnight oats topped with fresh raspberries and a sprinkle of choc chips.
- 1 Glass or glass jar with a lid
- Measuring Cups & Spoons
- Dessert spoon
- Plastic wrap or beeswax wrap
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon flaxseed meal
- 1 teaspoon hemp seeds
- 2 teaspoons dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- pinch sea salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh raspberries
- 1 teaspoon dark chocolate chips
- Add the rolled oats, flaxseed meal, hemp seeds, almond milk and maple syrup to a bowl. Whisk to combine. Add the chocolate chips and stir through.
- Transfer to a container or jar and fix the lid on firmly. Place into the fridge overnight or for at least 4 hours.
- To serve top with fresh raspberries and extra chocolate chips.
Did you make this recipe? Let us know by leaving a comment in the comment section and giving this recipe a star rating.