My apple cider vinegar salad dressing is perfectly balanced and full of punchy flavour. This dressing is versatile and can be used on a range of different salads. Making your own salad dressing is so easy and has a range of health benefits.
I love making homemade salad dressings as they are quick and easy and use wholesome, simple ingredients. Whether you're dressing up some simple salad greens or adding the finishing touch to your fall salad, this apple cider vinegar is perfect and so versatile! I've used this dressing on my Roasted Sweet Potato Avocado Salad and it is SO good! If you love this healthy salad dressing then you might also like to try my Maple Dijon Vinaigrette, Lemon Tahini Dressing or my Honey Balsamic Dressing.
What You'll Love About This Recipe
This homemade dressing has so many health benefits and tastes so good, what's not to love?!
- get all of the health benefits of apple cider vinegar
- made using extra virgin olive oil for healthy fats
- a healthy recipe with no refined sugars
- tangy apple cider vinegar dressing, perfect for salads, roast vegetables & drizzled over grilled chicken breasts.
Ingredients Notes & Substitutions
Using just a handful of ingredients, you probably already have everything you need to make this apple cider dressing. You will need:
- organic apple cider vinegar - being the key ingredient in this dressing I wouldn't recommend swapping it. However, you could also use lemon juice or white wine vinegar. I prefer to use an unfiltered apple cider vinegar, with the mother as it contains good bacteria.
- extra-virgin olive oil - other healthy oils that can be used instead of olive oil include flaxseed oil, avocado oil or hemp seed oil.
- honey - you could also use pure maple syrup in place of honey.
- wholegrain mustard - swap for 2 teaspoons of dijon mustard if desired.
- sea salt - I have used sea salt flakes. If using finely ground sea salt make sure to use less, otherwise it will be far too salty. I would recommend starting with a pinch of salt and gradually increasing to your taste.
- cracked black pepper - you could also use ground white pepper.
See the ingredient quantities in the full recipe at the bottom of this post.
How to Make Apple Cider Vinegar Dressing Recipe
There are two different ways to make this salad dressing. The first way is to add the vinegar, honey, mustard, salt and pepper to a small bowl and whisk to combine. You then pour the olive oil into the bowl in a steady but slow stream, while whisking. Continue whisking until the dressing is emulsified, which means that the vinegar and oil no longer separates and the dressing is of a smooth consistency.
The alternative way to make this dressing is to tip all of the ingredients into a glass jar (a mason jar would work perfectly) with a tight-fitting lid. Give it a good shake until the dressing is well combined and smooth.
Use this tangy salad dressing to:
- dress your favourite side salad
- drizzle over kale salad with crisp apples
- pour over your favorite veggies like steamed green beans, roasted squash and sweet potatoes etc.
This delicious dressing doesn't just taste great, it is good for you as well! Here are some of the health benefits of this healthy dressing:
- apple cider vinegar can help to lower blood sugar.
- adding an acid like apple cider vinegar to vegetables can help you to digest it more effectively as it works like a digestive enzyme.
- adding a healthy oil like extra virgin olive oil to a salad helps your body to absorb the fat soluble vitamins from the vegetables more effectively, including Vitamins E, A, D & K.
I always store my homemade salad dressings in the fridge in a glass airtight container (like a jar). Because this dressing contains olive oil, the oil will start to solidify when cold. I recommend leaving the dressing out of the fridge to warm to room temperature before using.
- small bowl
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 60 mL extra virgin olive oil
- 40 mL apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- Add the apple cider vinegar, wholegrain mustard, honey, salt and pepper to a small mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Gradually pour in the extra virgin olive oil while whisking and continue whisking until the dressing is emulsified, meaning that the oil and vinegar no longer separate.
- Store in a sealed glass jar in the fridge until ready to use. Once ready to use, allow to warm to room temperature before dressing your salad.
StorageStore this salad dressing in a glass jar with a firm fitting lid for up to one week. Allow to warm to room temperature before serving as the olive oil will solidify in the fridge.
- use to dress your favourite salad
- drizzle over steamed green beans, roasted vegetables or grilled chicken breast