This green smoothie recipe is so simple and delicious while being gluten free, nut free, dairy free and refined sugar free. Green smoothies make for a delicious breakfast or mid-morning snack. They are a great way of getting an extra boost of vegetables.Jump to Recipe
If you find it hard to get enough vegetables in your diet then green smoothies are a great option! They might sound a little weird, but trust me, green smoothies are delicious!! And so easy to make.
Green Smoothie Ingredients
Use this recipe as a base but feel free to get creative with ingredients that you have on hand. The ingredients in this smoothie are:
- frozen banana
- baby spinach
- almond milk (or other plant based milk)
- hemp seeds
Other ingredients that you can use are:
- kale, Swiss chard or other green leafy vegetables
- frozen zucchini
- chia seeds
- almond butter or any other nut or seed butter
- oats or buckwheat groats
- natural protein powder
- collagen powder
- frozen mango
- super green powder
- maca powder
- flaxseed meal
- LSA (linseed, sunflower and almond meal)
Get creative and have fun experimenting with your favourite ingredients.
Green Smoothie Meal Prep
Meal prepping for green smoothies throughout the week is simple. It's really about making sure that you have fresh and healthy ingredients on hand but here are a few tips to help you along:
- Freeze your fruit of choice in advance - mango, banana and pineapple work well here.
- Have baby spinach or your choice of green leafy's on hand, washed and stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
Tip: Take 2-3 pieces of paper towel, fold them into a rectangular shape and dampen with water. Place these at the bottom of the container with greens on top and lid on - this helps to keep greens fresher for much longer.
- Keep your pantry well stocked with your favourite nuts and seeds.
- Nut butter or tahini adds a lovely flavour to green smoothies but also adds protein and healthy fats. Keep these in the fridge to maintain freshness.
- If using any other green vegetables or fruit, wash and chop them ahead of time so that they are ready to use. Keep them in an airtight container also.
Greens can be blended and kept in small containers or ice cube trays in the freezer, however I much prefer to use fresh greens. This is because greens tend to lose some nutrition, particularly vitamin C, when frozen and then thawed.
Easy Smoothie Toppings
I love to top my smoothies with crunchy toppings that not only add extra flavour but nutrition as well. Some delicious toppings include:
- cacao nibs
- homemade toasted granola
- buckwheat groats
- gluten free seeded muesli
- raspberries or other seasonal fruit
How to Make a Nutritionally Balanced Green Smoothie
Like with any other snack or meal, it is important to include all of the macronutrients in a green smoothie in order to keep it balanced. Making sure there are healthy fats, complex carbohydrates and protein means that your smoothie will keep you fuller for longer. In this recipe you can find complex carbohydrates in the spinach and banana, as well as protein and healthy fats in the tahini and hemp seeds.
Other nutrients found in this smoothie are:
- omega 3 from hemp seeds
- potassium from banana
- vitamin E from avocado
- iron, magnesium and folate from baby spinach
- vitamin c and fibre from cucumber
- calcium from tahini
This list is certainly not exhaustive - there are so many more nutrients in this simple green smoothie recipe. But it is a great example of why it is worthwhile including green smoothies into your diet.
After more dairy free smoothie recipes? Try these...
- High powered blender
- measuring cups and spoons
- Glass tumbler
- 1 small banana frozen and cut
- ¼ avocado
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 cucumber roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 cup almond milk or other plant based milk of choice
- Add all ingredients to a high powered blender and blend on high until smoothie is thick and creamy.
- Top with your choice of toppings and drink straight away.
Did you make this recipe? Tell us how you went by rating the recipe and commenting below.