I absolutely love my Hemp Seed Granola recipe for two reasons. Firstly it's completely delicious, with just the right amount of sweetness and that perfect nutty flavour. And second, my hemp granola recipe is made using healthy, wholesome ingredients, making it the perfect healthy breakfast.
This hemp hearts granola is a variation of my Vanilla Almond Granola, which is equally as delicious! My absolute favourite way to serve this granola is over coconut yoghurt and topped with fresh berries. But it's also delicious straight up with your favourite milk, or used to top smoothies or smoothie bowls with.
What You'll Love About This Recipe
The real question is, what's not to love about this recipe?
- this homemade granola is great to meal prep for a week of healthy breakfasts.
- sweetened with pure maple syrup, this recipe is refined sugar free.
- lot's of healthy fats thanks to the olive oil, hemp seeds, almonds and tahini.
- hemp seed granola is quick and unbelievably easy to make!
- high in plant based protein (12 grams of protein per serve)
Ingredients in Hemp Granola
This delicious granola recipe is made using simple ingredients that can be found at your local grocery store. Below is a list of ingredients and possible substitutions.
- rolled oats - also known as old fashioned oats. I've chosen to use non-contaminated oats. I know that in the US you can buy gluten free oats, however in Australia they will be called uncontaminated oats or wheat free oats. If you have Coeliac Disease or are gluten intolerant, definitely talk to your specialist before consuming "gluten free" oats.
- hemp seeds - also known as hemp hearts. If you can't find hemp seeds you can also use sunflower seeds or pepitas.
- flaked almonds - you can use slivered almonds or swap the almonds for a mixture of seeds.
- extra virgin olive oil - you can also use macadamia oil or avocado oil.
- pure maple syrup - maple syrup can be swapped for brown rice malt syrup or honey.
- tahini - you can also use peanut butter, almond butter or sunflower seed butter.
- pure vanilla extract
The ingredient quantities can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to Make Granola (Including Process Photos)
There is absolutely nothing hard at all about making this delicious, healthy granola recipe. It is quick and easy and requires minimal ingredients and equipment. Here's how:
First you will need to add all of the dry ingredients (rolled oats, hemp seeds and almonds) to a large bowl and mix to combine.
In a second, medium bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients (olive oil, maple syrup, tahini and vanilla extract). Whisk these ingredients until they start to thicken, the mixture will end up looking like caramel, yum!
Pour the olive oil mixture into the olive oil mixture and stir with a spoon until all of the oats are coated evenly.
Turn the granola mixture out onto a large baking sheet or baking dish and place into the oven for 15 minutes. I like to take the granola out at 15 minutes to give it a quick stir and then pop it back into the oven for another 8 minutes. This just helps the granola to toast more evenly.
Tip: keep a close eye on your granola towards the end as all ovens cook slightly differently. When your granola is golden brown, remove it from the oven!
Once baked, remove the granola from the oven and allow it to cool on the stovetop. Wait until the granola has completely cooled before storing.
How to Store Homemade Granola
You can store completely cooled granola in an airtight container or a sealed glass jar. The hemp seed granola will store for at least 3 weeks this way.
There are lots of ways to enjoy this delicious granola!
- serve over your favourite yoghurt with berries or sliced fresh seasonal fruit.
- use to top smoothies or smoothie bowls.
- sprinkle of porridge for a crunchy topping.
- eat plain as a healthy snack.
- serve in a bowl topped with your favourite milk and fresh fruit.
Yes! This hemp seed granola is filled with omega 3 and omega 6. It also contains plant based protein, fibre, calcium and magnesium. It makes for a healthy and wholesome breakfast.
This hemp granola contains rolled oats, hemp seeds, almonds, olive oil, maple syrup, tahini and vanilla extract.
No, hemp seeds are a seed and not a grain, which makes them gluten free and paleo.
Hemp seeds are high in healthy fats like omega 3 and are high in fibre. They are also a good source of other vitamins and minerals like iron, vitamin E, manganese, magnesium, B-vitamins and zinc.
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- ½ cup extra virigin olive oil
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon tahini
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup hemp seed
- 1 cup flaked almonds
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl add the ½ cup extra virigin olive oil, ¼ cup pure maple syrup, 2 tablespoon tahini and 4 teaspoon vanilla extract. Whisk to combine.
- In a large bowl add the 2 cups rolled oats, 1 cup hemp seed and 1 cup flaked almonds. Stir to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix through until all of the oat mixture is coated.
- Pour the mixture into a baking dish and spread out evenly. Place into the oven and cook for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove from the oven and stir, spreading out evenly again. Return to the oven and cook for a further 8 minutes. Keep an eye on the granola towards the end and remove when golden brown!
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight jar.
Can I substitute honey for maple syrup?
Yes, absolutely! Honey would work well in this recipe.