Warmer mornings means time for cool breakfasts like this Hemp Seed & Almond Toasted Granola. Granola is my go-to breakfast in Spring and Summer. I love that it is so quick to put together and can be lovely and refreshing when served with fresh seasonal fruit and yoghurt. I usually use coconut yoghurt but have just discovered almond yoghurt which I'm loving as a lighter alternative.
Toasted Granola is SO Easy!
Making this granola is a cinch, requiring very little effort on your part and ONLY 7 ingredients. It's a total winner. I like to do up a batch over the weekend so that it is ready to go during the week. To make this granola takes only 5-10 minutes of prep time and about 30 minutes in the oven. Just allow the granola to cool completely before you transfer it to a jar to reduce moisture in the jar.
Are Oats Gluten Free?
Oats are technically gluten free, however they do contain a compound called Avenin, that is very similar in structure to gluten. Avenin can cause reactions in those with gluten sensitivity or Coeliacs disease. This article is a great read if you are on the fence about oats. Personally, I follow a gluten-free diet, but don't find I have any reaction to oats. And so I choose to keep them in my diet as they contain a pretty impressive nutrient profile.
It is important to note that many brands of rolled oats will have some gluten contamination. This is because oats are commonly processed on the same equipment as other gluten containing grains. If you are sensitive to gluten and wheat, it is important to find oats that are free from contamination. They will often be labelled as "wheat-free" and can be more commonly found in health food and bulk food stores.
If you're not into oats and would rather a more paleo granola, you could try my Seedy Gluten Free Granola.
Pin Me For Later
- Baking Tray
- Measuring Cup
- ½ cup extra virigin olive oil
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon tahini
- 4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup hemp seed
- 1 cup flaked almonds
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl add the olive oil, pure maple syrup, tahini and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine.
- In a large bowl add the rolled oats, hemp seeds and flaked almonds. Stir to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix through until all of the oat mixture is coated.
- Pour the mixture into a baking dish and spread out evenly. Place into the oven and cook for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove from the oven and stir, spreading out evenly again. Return to the oven and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight jar.