Have you tried my muesli slice before? It has been such a popular recipe of mine, not just on my website but with friends and family as well. This slice was on regular rotation in our house for such a long time and I have been asked many times to create a gluten free version. So here it is! My Homemade Gluten Free Muesli Bars. It’s a big call but I’m going to make it, these bars are even easier to make then the original! Not just gluten free though, this slice is nut free, dairy free, egg free, gluten free AND refined sugar free. This makes it the perfect school or kindy lunchbox snack.
Muesli Bars Nutrient Low Down
Being made from predominantly seeds, this slice is high in protein, essential fats, complex carbohydrates and fibre. In other words this slice is great brain food. Eating foods that are high in all of these nutrients (and free from gluten) help to prevent the dreaded brain fog and improve concentration. It will also help to promote stable blood sugar levels which promote better behaviour in children and stable moods. When blood sugar levels are stable, the desire to reach for high sugar foods is lessened. Additionally, the combination of nutrients in these muesli bars will help to keep you fuller for longer. This means that you should be able to get through to the next meal time without the need to continuously snack.
When you look at the power of all of these nutrients, its easy to see that food really is medicine. As Hippocrates said “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”.
Feeding ourselves and our kids foods that will sustain us and them for a few hours (as opposed to a few minutes) means:
- better moods,
- better behaviour,
- and better health.
I am currently in the process of writing a program that teaches the basics of nutrition and how to create balanced meals and snacks. I will also be teaching how to drastically reduce the amount sugar you and/or your family eat, how to use healthy alternatives to refined sugars and so, so much more. To say I am beyond excited about this program is an understatement. I don’t have a set launch date yet but if you would like to stay informed as to when the program will be launched then join the community here to sign up to my mailing list. Get yourself a free recipe eBook while you’re at it as well as access to my FREE resources library.
Homemade Gluten Free Muesli SlicePrint Pin
- 1 cup buckwheat groats
- 8-9 medjool dates pits removed
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut preservative free
- 1/2 cup pepitas
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 cup dried cranberries unsweetened and preservative free
White Chocolate Drizzle
- 80 grams cacao butter
- 2 tbsp macadamia nut butter optional
- 2 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1 cup desiccated coconut preservative free
- shredded coconut optional
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a food processor add all of the ingredients for the slice. Pulse to combine until mixture is sticky and clumps together when pressed.
- Tip mixture into a baking paper lined slice tray and press down firmly with hands or an egg flip. Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and use egg flip to press down again.
- Allow to cool completely in tin before slicing.
- To make chocolate, melt cacao butter in a saucepan. Add to a blender or NutriBullet with macadamia butter (if using), maple syrup and coconut. Blend until well combined. Drizzle over slice and top with shredded coconut if desired.