These Black Bean Brownies are actually NUT FREE!! This healthy brownie recipe is also dairy free, egg free and gluten free. Oh, and did I mention that they are DELICIOUS!
I wouldn't be a healthy recipes blogger if I didn't have my very own black bean brownie recipe. It took a few test runs, each one more delicious than the last, but I finally did it! These healthier plant based black bean brownies are not only vegan (meaning dairy free and egg free) BUT they are also nut free and gluten free. My only issue with these brownies? Working out how I am going to stop at just one.
These brownies are based almost solely on pantry ingredients. Most of which you probably have on hand. I'm talking tinned black beans, coconut oil, buckwheat flour, flaxseeds, cacao and chocolate chips. These ingredients are some of my pantry staples, which means on any given day I could have a batch of these insanely delicious black bean brownies within 30 minutes.
Tips for Baking Black Bean Brownies
- Blend the strained black beans first for smooth and fudgey brownies.
- Store these brownies in the fridge but warm in the microwave to bring back to that just baked texture.
- Mix some of the chocolate chips through the mixture and use the rest to sprinkle on top.
- Blend the flaxseeds first into a meal before making the flax eggs. I've found that this works better than using whole flaxseeds and makes for a smoother texture.
- Bring the coconut oil to room temperature before blending in with the black beans. You can do this by placing the required amount of coconut oil into a heat proof container. Place this into another container filled with boiling water, stirring to help the melting process.
That's it, nothing crazy as usual. This plant based brownie recipe is super easy to make. Being nut free and egg free they also make the perfect healthy, high protein school lunchbox treat.
Looking for more plant based recipes? Try these...
- High Powered Blender
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Cups
- 7 inch Brownie Tin
- Baking Paper
- 1 400g Tinned Black Beans
- ⅓ cup Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- 3 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 9 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- ½ cup buckwheat flour
- ½ cup cacao powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder aluminium free
- ¾ cup vegan choc chips
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Add the flaxseed meal to a small bowl as well as the water. Whisk together and allow to sit to become gel like.
- Strain and rinse black beans and add to blender. Add coconut oil, pure maple syrup, vanilla extract and flaxseed mixture. Blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- In a large mixing bowl seive buckwheat flour, cacao powder and baking powder. Pour in ½ cup chocolate chips and mix with whisk to combine.
- Pour black bean mixture into flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour brownie mixture into baking paper lined brownie tin and place into oven.
- After 25 minutes remove brownies from the oven and allow to cool slightly before slicing and serving.
Don't forget to tag #ournourishingtable on Instagram when sharing your recreations. Follow @ournourishingtable on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook to see fun behind the scenes, health, wellness and cooking tips. If you love this recipe please rate it comment below.