This healthy, gluten free pecan pie recipe is hands down one of my favourite desserts. It is made gluten and dairy free and naturally sweetened using pure maple syrup (no corn syrup in this healthy recipe!).
The pecan pie filling is made using eggs, rapadura sugar and coconut oil, poured into an almond flour, gluten free crust and baked to perfection! This delicious pecan pie has such an amazing flavor and is the perfect dessert for your holiday table.
If you're on the search for healthy pecan desserts then look no further! In my opinion this is the best gluten free pecan pie, with crunchy pecans and a rich caramel like flavour and custard like texture, what's not to love?
Why You'll Love This Recipe
You're going to love this delicious, perfect gluten-free pecan pie and here's why:
- it has all of the flavour of the classic pecan pie.
- this gluten-free, dairy-free option will please even the most critical pecan pie lovers!
- perfect for Thanksgiving dinner dessert!
- made without using xantham gum.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
This healthy pecan pie recipe is made using gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free ingredients. To make this pie you will need:
- eggs (free range)
- vanilla extract - you can use vanilla seeds or vanilla paste here or skip altogether if you don't have any on hand.
- rapadura sugar - can be swapped for coconut sugar or brown sugar (dark or light brown sugar will work here). I don't recommend using stevia or monk fruit sweeteners in this recipe as it wont set properly.
- cinnamon powder - you can use mixed spice here in a pinch.
- pure maple syrup - you could use agave nectar or coconut nectar instead of maple.
- extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil - swap for equal parts of ghee or butter if you are not needing a dairy-free pecan pie. The coconut oil needs to be liquefied for this recipe.
- pecans - it's not really pecan pie without pecans, however you can definitely make this pie using walnuts or hazelnuts if you like!
- sea salt - optional
See the recipe card for ingredient quantities.
These are the ingredients needed for my gluten free pie crust, however you can use any pre-made gluten-free pie crust recipe that you prefer or use gluten free shortcrust pastry from the store.
- almond flour
- buckwheat flour
- tapioca starch
- maple syrup
- coconut butter
- sea salt
- vanilla extract
How to Make Gluten Free Pecan Pie
Why buy pecan pie when you can make your own gf pecan pie so very easily! And it tastes just like a traditional pecan pie! I mean, sure, store bought pecan pie is convenient but is it healthy? Unlikely. Does it taste as good as this one? Hell no. Here's how it is made:
Make the pie crust.
You can find step by step instructions for making the gluten-free pie dough in this post, which shows you how to use a rolling pin to roll out the pastry on a lightly floured work surface and the best way to mould it into the pie pan (gluten free crust dough is a bit different to regular pie dough due to not having gluten for that stretch factor).
Make the filling.
The first step is to add the eggs, maple syrup, cinnamon, melted coconut oil, rapadura sugar, salt and vanilla extract to a large mixing bowl. Whisk until well combined and then set aside.
Tip: Coconut oil will be solid at room temperature. To melt, place the required amount into a small heat proof bowl and place into a larger bowl.
Pour boiling water into the larger bowl so the it ¾ of the way up the sides of the smaller bowl and leave for about 5 minutes, stirring every so often to help it melt more quickly.
Toast half of the pecans.
After toasting the pecans, allow them to cool to room temperature before roughly chopping them and adding them to the egg mixture. Stir to combine.
Pour the pecan pie mixture into the pre-baked gluten free pie shell and top with the remaining pecans. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until filling is set. As the pie bakes the chopped pecans float to the top leaving you with a toasty pecan layer at the top and a custard layer at the bottom, yum!!
Tip: It is best to allow the pie to cool before slicing. My favourite way to serve is with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of the pie.
Find a how-to video in the recipe card at the bottom of this post!
Store the pecan pie covered with plastic wrap (I use a compostable plastic wrap) or with aluminum foil, or in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
How to freeze a pecan pie
The best way to freeze pecan pie is to slice the entire pie and freeze in a large airtight container. If you have a smaller container you can layer slices of pecan pie between sheets of parchment paper. Allow to defrost on the kitchen bench or reheat in the microwave for 1 minute (or more depending on big the slice of pie is).
This Gluten Free Pecan Pie will last for 2-3 days in the refrigerator and 2 months in the freezer.
Yes. I would definitely recommend refrigerating this pie - particularly in warmer climates.
Use pure maple syrup or agave nectar in place of corn syrup in pecan pie.
Pecan pie often contains gluten. Most pecan pie recipes will contain gluten in the pastry. To make gluten free, use a gluten free pie crust and ensure all filling ingredients are gluten free.
If you're pecan pie is runny after baking it is probable that you didn't bake it for long enough. Return to the oven and bake until the pie has set in the centre. Cooking times will vary depending on the size of the pie.
Yes. The best way to freeze pecan pie is to slice the entire pie and place into an airtight container. For smaller containers, layer the slices on top of each other with sheets of parchment paper between each slice.
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 Baking Tray
- 1 Whisk
- 1 Measuring spoons and cups
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup room temperature
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil melted and at room temperature
- ½ cup rapadura sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups pecans
- ½ teaspoon salt flakes
- 1 pre baked sweet pastry tart shell
- Prepare and par-bake 1 sweet pastry tart.1 pre baked sweet pastry tart shell
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- On a baking tray place ½ cup of pecans and roast for 10minutes, remove and chop roughly when cooled.1 ½ cups pecans
- In a mixing bowl whisk together maple syrup, rapadura sugar, eggs, coconut oil, vanilla and salt flakes.¼ cup pure maple syrup, 3 large eggs, 4 tablespoons coconut oil, ½ cup rapadura sugar, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, ½ teaspoon salt flakes, 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- When combined, add chopped pecans and pour into a prepared tart shell.1 ½ cups pecans
- Arrange the remaining one cup of pecans on top of the tart.1 ½ cups pecans
- Place in the oven for 15-20 mins untilfilling is set. Check the tart at 8 minutes to ensure the pastry is not browning too quickly. If it is, loosely place a piece of aluminium foil gently over the tart with out touching the filling to protect the pastry.
- Remove from the oven and cool before slicing.
StorageStore pecan pie, covered, in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. To freeze, slice entire pie and freeze in an airtight container with sheets of parchment paper between slices of pie.
Serving SuggestionsServe alongside your favourite vanilla ice cream.
Did you make this recipe? Let us know how you went by rating the recipe and commenting below.