This comforting stove-top dairy free coconut rice pudding recipe with chocolate sauce is not only dairy free but gluten free and refined sugar free as well. It's the perfect, healthy dessert for those cooler nights.
Being refined sugar free, this dessert is actually healthy enough to eat for breakfast if you fancy!
- Large saucepan
- Small saucepan
- Measuring Cups & Spoons
- Heat Proof Bowl
- Wooden Spoon
- 4 cups coconut milk drinking
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 cup Arborio Rice
- 90 grams dark chocolate
- pinch sea salt
- ⅓ cup coconut milk canned
- 250 grams strawberries washed with tops removed
- ¼ cup shredded coconut toasted
- Place a large saucepan or casserol pan onto the stovetop. Add the coconut milk, cardamom powder, vanilla extract and honey. Turn to a high heat and stir until well combined and the honey is completely dissolved.
- Add the arborio rice and stir frequently while boiling to avoid rice sticking to the bottom of the pan. Continue this process until the arborio rice has absorbed most of the liquid and is tender. Place the lid onto the saucepan and turn off the heat.
- While the rice pudding continues to steam, place a small saucepan filled ⅓ of the way with water onto the stove top. Top with a heatproof bowl (glass or stainless steel works well) and bring to a high heat. Add the dark chocolate and stir occasionally until melted.
- Once the chocolate is melted add the coconut milk and whisk until smooth and glossy. Turn off the heat.
- To serve, add spoonfuls of rice pudding to a bowl and top with chocolate sauce, fresh strawberries & toasted coconut. Eat warm.
Tips for Re-HeatingIf making the chocolate sauce in advance, return to a smooth consistency by gently heating in the heat proof bowl placed onto a saucepan of water on a high heat. To re-heat rice pudding on stove top, simply add another ½ cup of coconut milk and stir while reheating to bring back the creamy texture.
Reducing SugarIf a lower sugar dessert is preferred, honey can be reduced to ¼ cup.
StorageStore rice pudding and chocolate sauce in a sealed container in the fridge. Rice should be consumed within 3 days of cooking. Nutrition facts are an estimate only.
Winter is coming up quickly, which has me thinking of all of the delicious, warming comfort foods that can be eaten fireside with my friends and family. Rice pudding ticks all of the boxes for me - warm, creamy, sweet, comforting & healthy!
Ingredients for Dairy Free Rice Pudding
Make this rice pudding dairy free by using the below ingredients:
- arborio rice
- coconut milk beverage
- vanilla extract
- cardamom powder
- dairy free, dark chocolate
- tinned coconut milk
- sea salt
To make this dairy free rice pudding recipe I have simply replaced cream and milk with coconut milk. Make sure to get the coconut milk beverage for the pudding component and NOT tinned coconut milk as this will result in an overpoweringly creamy/coconut-y rice pudding.
The coconut milk beverage is perfect as it still has that distinct coconut flavour but it has a higher water content. When buying coconut milk beverage, be careful not to buy one with added sugars as this will increase the sweetness of the dish.
Refined Sugar Free Pudding Recipes
Experimenting with refined sugar free sweeteners is always fun - I particularly love it when a refined sugar free sweetener works even better than sugar in a dish. Using honey to sweeten this dish gives a beautiful flavour to this refined sugar free rice pudding, while also helping to lower the glycemic index. This will leave you feeling better after eating this delicious dessert, no feeling heavy or like you've overindulged here!
How to Make the Perfect Rice Pudding
Here are some tips for making the perfect rice pudding:
- Stir frequently! Rice pudding has a tendency to stick to the bottom of the pan unless you are there watching over it and stirring often.
- Use Arborio Rice - this short grain rice is starchy, which helps to create a beautiful creaminess. It also absorbs the liquid really well.
- Heat the Milk First - It's important to heat the milk with the honey, vanilla and cardamom first so that all of the flavours are well combined and the honey is completely dissolved before adding the rice.
Looking For More Healthy Dessert Recipes? Try These...
Pin For Later
Did you make this recipe? Let us know how you went by commenting below and rating the recipe.