These roasted crispy chickpeas are perfectly seasoned and make for a healthy snack, or the perfect addition to give a crunchy texture to a salad.
Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are highly nutritious, being an excellent source of plant-based protein as well as being high in fiber. They are also a good source of magnesium, vitamin B6 and iron. Making crispy chickpeas is a fun and delicious way to enjoy this nutrient dense food, while adding more protein to your diet! I love making all sorts of recipes with chickpeas though, like my Smooth Hummus, Easy Chickpea Butternut Squash Curry, Chicken Chickpea Salad or my Roasted Cauliflower Chickpea Salad.
What's To Love About Crispy Chickpeas
- high protein - chickpeas contain 19 grams of protein per 100 grams, making them a fantastic way of boosting your overall daily protein intake.
- great snack - this crunchy snack perfect for those days when you want something crunchy and savory to snack on!
- easy recipe - with only 5 minutes of preparation time and a few simple steps, this recipe is perfect for even the most beginner level cooks.
- allergy friendly - this recipe is completely dairy free, gluten, nut free and vegan.
Ingredients Notes & Substitutions
To make these crunchy chickpeas you only need a few easy to find, basic ingredients, available at most grocery stores. I've listed all of the ingredients you need below, along with any possible substitutions. I love that you can play around with the spice combination depending on your personal preference and what spices you have on hand. There are so many different ways to make oven-roasted chickpeas, but this is my favorite way! The spice combination is also super delicious on sweet potatoes or homemade french fries! You can find the ingredient quantities in the full recipe in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- canned chickpeas - I prefer to use canned chickpeas to make this recipe even more quick and easy, however you can definitely use home-cooked chickpeas as well. Just make sure they're cooked until tender. You need to use cooked chickpeas for this recipe and not dried chickpeas!
- extra virgin olive oil - you can also use avocado oil in place of olive oil.
- sweet paprika - you can use smoked paprika in place of sweet paprika, however I would recommend using ½ teaspoon and not a full teaspoon as it has a stronger flavor then sweet paprika.
- onion powder - you can swap for onion salt, however you will need to reduce the amount of additional salt added.
- garlic powder - the same as with onion powder, you can use garlic salt instead, just reduce the amount of additional salt.
- turmeric - can be left out or swapped for more cumin or paprika.
- ground cumin - can be swapped for cumin seeds.
- sea salt - I prefer to use sea salt flakes for this recipe, giving even more crunch. If using finely ground sea salt, use half the amount that is called for in the recipe.
How to Make Crispy Chickpeas
I love a recipe that is easy to make and even more delicious to eat! Follow my step-by-step instructions for best results.
First, preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (356 F).
Next, drain and rinse the can of chickpeas. Tip the chickpeas out onto some paper towels to completely dry off before adding them to a large baking dish or a parchment paper lined large baking sheet.
Add the olive oil, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, turmeric, ground cumin and sea salt to the dry chickpeas. Using clean hands, toss the chickpeas, oil and spices together until the chickpeas are evenly coated. Spread the chickpeas out into a single layer.
Place the tray of seasoned chickpeas into the oven and roast for 40 minutes or until golden brown and baked to crispy perfection.
Tip: Chickpeas are more easily digested when the skins are removed. If you wish to remove the skins, use a clean kitchen towel on the top and bottom of the chickpeas. Gently rub the chickpeas with the top kitchen towel to remove the chickpea skins. Dispose of the loose skins. This step is optional and does add a bit of time to the preparation time.
- salad topper - crispy chickpeas are a great addition to your favorite salad along with my Quick Pickled Red Onions.
- crispy snack - this crispy chickpea recipe are a delicious savory snack.
- cheese board - add a selection of nuts (like walnuts and almonds) along with these crispy chickpeas to your next cheese board.
Once completely cooled to room temperature, store the crispy chickpeas in an airtight container in the fridge.
One of the best things about this recipe is how adaptable it is to different flavors. I've listed some delicious flavor combinations below that you can try. Use these combinations in place of the spices in the recipe.
- spicy - add chili powder or cayenne pepper to your desired spice level.
- lemon herb - swap half of the olive oil for lemon juice and season with salt, pepper and mixed dried herbs.
- sweet - add 1 tablespoon maple syrup and ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder to the chickpeas and toss to combine.
- Large Baking Dish or baking sheet
- Paper towel
- 400 gram canned chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- To a large baking dish add the chickpeas, paprika garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric, cumin powder, sea salt flakes and olive oil.
- Toss to coat evenly and then spread out across the base of the dish in a single layer.
- Place into the oven to bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Allow to cool to room temperature before transferring to an airtight container to store.
StorageCool to room temperature before storing in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- on a cheese platter
- as a healthy snack on their own
- used to top salads