Gluten Free Sweet Potato Fries are a seriously delicious snack or side. These perfectly seasoned, crispy sweet potato fries taste so good served alongside your favorite dipping sauce.
Using just a few simple ingredients, these homemade sweet potato fries are baked, making them a healthier alternative. Sweet potato (kumara) is a highly nutritious root vegetable, providing fibre, complex carbohydrates and beta carotene to name a few. Most sweet potato fries will be gluten free, but if buying store bought definitely check the ingredients list for wheat flour, wheat or added gluten.
What's to Love About Sweet Potato Fries
- healthy side dish - crispy baked sweet potato fries are an excellent side dish to a healthy meal. Serving alongside your favorite protein and some leafy greens would make an easy weeknight meal.
- allergy friendly - this delicious recipe is gluten free, dairy free and vegan.
- perfectly seasoned - seasonings like paprika, onion powder and garlic powder give these fried a delicious flavor, with crispy edges, you can't go wrong! They are a healthy snack that the whole family will love!
Ingredients Notes & Substitutions
You will need a few simple, wholesome ingredients to make these sweet potato chips. Read on to see what ingredients you will need as well as any possible substitutions and ingredient notes. The full list of ingredient quantities can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- sweet potato - you will need one large sweet potato (also known as kumura), peeled and cut into thin strips. If you prefer French fries, then you can swap the sweet potato for potatoes.
- garlic powder - I've used garlic powder and not garlic salt. If you only have garlic salt on hand, you can use this, just don't add the extra salt called for in this recipe.
- onion powder - Again, if you just have onion salt and not onion powder you can use this, however just don't add extra salt.
- sweet paprika -
- sea salt flakes - I've used sea salt flakes and not finely ground sea salt. If using finely ground sea salt use about half the amount called for in this recipe.
- extra virgin olive oil - olive oil is probably one of the most used ingredients in my kitchen, not just because it has an amazing flavor and is incredible to cook with but because it has many health properties as well. For this recipe you can swap the olive oil for avocado oil if preferred.
How to Make Gluten Free Sweet Potato Fries
Follow my step-by-step instructions for the best results.
First, preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius (356 F). Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper. Depending on the size of your sheet pan you may need two.
Next, add the olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and sea salt to a large bowl and whisk to combine.
Using a cutting board and sharp knife, slice the peeled sweet potato into thin fries. Add the sweet potato fries to the bowl and toss through the oil mixture until evenly coated.
Tip the fries out onto the baking tray and spread out into a single layer so that none of the fries are touching each other. If you can't space them out enough then use a second baking sheet. Place the fries into the oven to bake for one hour or until the chips are golden and crisp. Cooking times can vary depending on your oven.
Once baked, serve the sweet potato fries with your favorite dipping sauce.
Store leftover fries in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. The fries won't remain crispy but to return them to their just baked crispiness you can pop them into the air fryer for a few minutes.
- spicy - add a pinch of cayenne pepper and a pinch of chili powder to the oil mixture (or more if you prefer very spicy).
- Chopping Board
- Sharp knife
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 2 Baking trays
- Parchment paper
- 600 grams sweet potato peeled and cut into thin fries
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (356 F). Line two baking trays with parchment paper and set aside.
- To a large mixing bowl add the paprika, sea salt, onion powder, garlic powder and olive oil and whisk to combine.
- Add the sweet potato fries to the bowl and toss through until all of the fries are coated in the olive oil mixture.
- Tip the fries out onto the two trays and spread the fries out into a single layer so that none of the fries are touching.
- Place into the oven to bake for 1 hour or until golden and crisp.
- Once baked, remove from the oven and serve hot alongside your choice of dipping sauce or as a side dish to a healthy meal.