Sweet Potato Fries with Cashew Chilli Chipotle Dip are the ultimate comfort food! This recipe is gluten free, dairy free and plant based/vegan.
The Perfect Sweet Potato Fries
Ok, so, sweet potato fries aren't exactly the hardest thing to make BUT I do have a few important tips for making them just right. You know, crunchy on the outside but not burnt but still soft on the inside? These fries make for a perfect accompaniment to almost any meal (yup, I am that obsessed). Though in this dish they feature as the star of the show, with the cashew chilli chipotle dip as the leading lady. But back to the fries, there are a few different methods for making these. You could either use an oven or an air fryer and I have tips for both.
Air Fried Sweet Potato Fries
Using the air fryer for sweet potato fries is personally my favourite method as it is a whole lot quicker. I find the fries turn out a lot crisper as well. We've had our air fryer for about 6 months and use it at least a couple of times per week. To make the perfect air fryer sweet potato fries:
- Do not overfill the air-fryer (ie. don't fit as many chips in there as physically possible, fill the drum about half way).
- Lightly coat the fries with olive oil by drizzling olive oil over the fries and tossing. Season with salt and pepper at this point.
- Set the temperature to 180 degrees Celsius. Any hotter will result in burnt fries.
- Air fry for 20 minutes, making sure to toss the fries half way through to cook evenly. The time will depend on how many fries you are cooking, you may need to cook a little longer but use your own judgement here.
- If not serving straight away, leave the lid up otherwise the sweet potato fries will go soft.
Oven Roasted Sweet Potato Fries
While using an air-fryer for sweet potato fries is my favourite method, I still love oven baked sweet potato fries. They do take a while longer to cook, which is the major downfall. BUT you can still get a crispy and delicious fry using the oven. Here's how:
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Toss the fries in olive oil to lightly coat. Season with salt and pepper at this point.
- Arrange the fries in a roasting dish so that the fries aren't touching and are spaced out. This results in crispy fries. You may need to use a couple of baking trays to achieve this.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes are until the fries are crispy and golden.
- After removing the fries from the oven, straight away use a metal egg flip to seperate chips from base of pan. If you don't do this straight away and allow them to cool slightly first they will stick to the tray.
That's it, both methods are easy, both methods result in crispy and delicious sweet potato fries. Just one is quicker than the other.
Cashew Chilli Chipotle Sauce
Ok, so if you are dairy free and you've never tasted a cashew dip before then you are in for a treat. Cashews are so versatile and can be used for both savoury and sweet dips and sauces. In this chilli chipotle sauce I have blended lime, water, salt, pepper and chilli chipotle together to create a smooth, creamy, tangy and spicy dip for your fries. Use this cashew dip for to serve with fries, drizzle over nachos or over a Mexican style salad.
For more yummy recipes using cashews see:
Chocolate Jaffa Cupcakes with Chocolate Cashew Frosting
Cranberry and Pistachio Raw Cheesecake
- Baking tray OR air fryer
- Chopping Board
- High Powered Blender
- Citrus juicer
Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 medium sweet potato cut into fries
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Cashew Chilli Chipotle Dip
- ½ cup cashews soaked in water overnight
- 1 lime juice only
- ½ teaspoon chilli chipotle
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ⅓ cup water
- pinch salt
Oven Baked Fries
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Cut sweet potatoes into thin fries and place into baking dish.
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over fries and toss to lightly coat. Space out fries on baking dish so that they do not touch - use a second baking dish if required.
- Season fries and place into oven to bake for 45 minutes or until crispy and golden. Once cooked remove from oven.
Air Fryer Fries
- Place fries in drum of airfryer. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Make sure fries only take up maximum half of the space in drum.
- Turn airfryer on. Set temperature to 180 degrees Celsius and time to 20 minutes. Open lid of airfyer half way to toss fries.
- Once fries are cooked, leave lid of airfryer open until ready to eat.
Chilli Chipotle Sauce
- While fries are cooking add the cashews, water, lime juice, salt, paprika and chilli chipotle to a blender (bullet style blender works well). Blend on high until sauce is smooth and creamy.
- Serve fries with chilli chipotle sauce and eat straight away.
Leave a Reply