This Thai Coconut Pumpkin Soup Recipe is gluten free, dairy free and plant based - a yummy alternative to your average pumpkin soup recipe.
There is much appreciation right now for humble pantry ingredients and long-living vegetables like pumpkin, sweet potato, potato and onions. At a time where getting to the shops isn't always an option, many of us are focusing on delicious meals with minimal ingredients (but maximum flavour, of course!). This Thai Coconut Pumpkin Soup fits the bill. With just 6 ingredients, you're likely to have these items on hand. If not, be sure to comment below and I will offer you a suitable alternative.
Pantry Ingredients are Queen
Not only are the ingredients in this recipe super simple, they are also highly nutritious! In this thai coconut pumpkin soup we have:
- Pumpkin (der) - pumpkin is high in beta carotene and vitamin a. These nutrients are highly important for a healthy functioning immune system. With the current Covid-19 pandemic, it is more important now then ever to nurture a healthy immune system.
- Onion - onion contains a nutrient called quercetin. This nutrient promotes good immunity, is antioxidant, reduces blood pressure and reduces inflammation, amongst many other benefits.
- Coconut - coconut milk is a healthy dairy alternative and contains minerals like calcium and magnesium as well as healthy fats and fibre.
- Cashews - cashews are high in monounsaturated fats, protein and minerals. Protein and fat help to make this meal more filling and provide sustained energy.
This pumpkin soup recipe makes around 6 serves and is filling enough to have as a main meal. Pumpkin soup freezes really well so you can save some for further down the track (or for a night you don't feel like cooking). I know that this time is hard and living through a pandemic definitely has it's challenges. But for me, knowing that I can still spend time in my kitchen creating nourishing meals for my family gives me a sense of control and calm. I hope you find this too.
Looking for more dinner ideas? Try:
- Large saucepan
- Chopping Board
- 1.5 kg japanese pumpkin skin and seeds removed, diced
- 1 brown onion diced
- 2 tbsp red thai curry paste
- 500 mL stock vegetable or chicken
- 400 mL coconut milk canned
- 1 cup cashews raw
- coriander optional
- lime optional
- In a large saucepan drizzle a small amount of extra virgin olive oil and bring pan to a medium heat.
- Add chopped brown onions and saute until tender and translucent.
- Add curry paste to the pan and stir until smell is poinient. Add diced pumpkin and cashews and stir to combine.
- Pour in the stock and coconut milk and turn the heat to low, allowing to simmer until the pumpkin is soft and tender.
- Transfer soup to a blender and blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Serve warm topped with coriander and lime if desired.