A dairy free Mac and Cheese Recipe that has that cheesy flavour without the belly ache. This gluten free dairy free Mac and cheese has no cheese at all and uses gluten free pasta and gluten free breadcrumbs. Full of flavour, this is the ultimate comfort dish!
Ingredients for Dairy Free Mac & Cheese
To make this dish you will need:
- Garlic - minced or finely chopped
- Nutritional Yeast
- Onion Powder
- Sea Salt Flakes - if you are using fine sea salt then you will need to use half of the quantity stated in the recipe.
- Sweet Paprika
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - I always opt for cold pressed extra virgin olive oil as it is the least processed and retains the most nutrients.
- Uncontaminated Oat Flour - Uncontaminated oat flour is usually fine for someone with a gluten intolerance, however if you are Coeliac then I recommend swapping for buckwheat flour or another gluten free flour.
- Dairy free milk - I have used soy milk but you could use any other plant based milk of choice (unsweetened).
- Gluten Free Macaroni - I was unable to find gluten free macaroni so I opted for another gluten free pasta.
- Gluten Free Bread Crumbs - alternatively you can make your own using stale gluten free bread. I baked my gluten free bread on trays in the oven for 15 minutes to dry it out before blending into breadcrumbs.
- Dried Oregano
How to Make Lactose Free Mac & Cheese
One of my favourite things about this lactose free Mac and cheese recipe is that it comes together in under 30 minutes. This makes for a great mid-week meal served with salad & a little protein or a last minute, Friday night dish (preferably eaten on the couch in your pyjamas watching re-runs of your favourite show).
Step 1 - Cook the Pasta
Fill a large pot of water two thirds of the way with water and bring to the boil. Once boiling, add pasta and cook until al dente. Strain and set aside.
Step 2 - Make the Lactose Free Mac n Cheese Sauce
Heat olive oil in a pan and add garlic. Stir to cook evenly until garlic releases aroma. Add the flour to the pan, stirring to combine with the garlic and oil. Pour in approximately one quarter of the milk, whisking to combine. Once the sauce starts to thicken, pour another quarter of the milk in. Repeat this until all of the milk has been used and the sauce is creamy and coats the back of a spoon.
Turn off the heat. Add the paprika, nutritional yeast and sea salt to the pan and whisk to combine.
Step 3 - Add the Pasta to the Cheesey Sauce
Add the cooked pasta to the cheesey sauce and stir to combine. You could absolutely just eat the pasta now as it is! But if you prefer to add breadcrumbs then read on.
Step 4 - Make the Breadcrumbs
In a small bowl mix together the onion powder, sea salt, breadcrumbs, oregano and olive oil. Sprinkle over the top of the pasta and then place into the oven under the grill. Grill (broil) until breadcrumbs are crispy and golden.
Remove from the oven and serve!
This dairy-free Mac and cheese is relatively low in protein and doesn't contain vegetables. For a complete meal I recommend serving this dish with your favourite protein and a side salad.
Looking for more 30 minute meals? Try these...
- Asian Style Chicken Rice Bowls
- Baked Salmon Poke Bowl
- Comforting White Bean Soup
- Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes
- Gluten Free Pasta Salad
Pin For Later
- 2 Large Casserole Pans
- small bowl
- 340 g Gluten free Macaroni pasta or other gluten free pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped or minced
- ¼ cup oat flour or gluten free flour
- 2 ¼ cups almond milk or other plant based milk
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoon sea salt flakes
- ⅓ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon oregano dried
- 2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Fill up a large saucepan to two thirds of the way. Place onto a high heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling add the macaroni pasta and cook until al dente.340 g Gluten free Macaroni pasta
- Meanwhile, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a frypan and bring to a medium – low heat. Add in the garlic and stir frequently until fragrant, being careful not to burn. Once golden add the oat flour and mix until the oat flour has absorbed all the olive oil in the pan. Add a splash of milk and whisk straight away to combine. Once the milk is completely mixed in and the sauce is thickened, continue to add more milk, a small amount at a time, whisking straight away to combine and thicken. Once all the milk has been added, turn off the heat and add the paprika, nutritional yeast and 1 teaspoon of sea salt flakes. Whisk to combine.1 tablespoon olive oil, 4 cloves garlic, ¼ cup oat flour, 2 ¼ cups almond milk, ¼ cup nutritional yeast, ¼ teaspoon sweet paprika, 1 ½ teaspoon sea salt flakes
- Once the pasta is al dente, turn off the heat and strain. Return the pasta to the pan along with the sauce. Stir through to evenly cover all the pasta in the creamy sauce.
- Add the breadcrumbs to a bowl along with ½ teaspoon of sea salt flakes, oregano, onion powder and olive oil. Mix through to combine.1 ½ teaspoon sea salt flakes, ⅓ cup breadcrumbs, ½ teaspoon oregano, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Pour the mac and cheese into a large baking dish and then sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the top. Turn the oven to grill and place the mac and cheese into the oven on the middle shelf. Grill for 8 minutes or until breadcrumbs are golden brown. Serve warm.
Did you make this recipe? Let us know how you went by rating the recipe and commenting below.