These Air Fryer smashed potatoes are so crispy and delicious, they are the perfect side dish to your next roast dinner. Or fun afternoon snack! Read on for how to make these crispy smashed potatoes in the air fryer as well as some different variations. Instructions for baking in the oven included.Jump to Recipe
You need just 4 ingredients for these air fryer smashed potatoes. They are:
- white or red potatoes - skin on
- sea salt flakes
- black pepper - I prefer to use freshly ground for a stronger flavour
- extra virgin olive oil - cold pressed extra virgin is the healthiest type of olive oil to use as it is very minimally processed.
- fresh herbs - optional
How to Make Smashed Potatoes in an Air Fryer
Air fryers are so good for making life a little easier. While these smashed potatoes take 50 minutes in a conventional oven, they take just 15 minutes in an air fryer! The only drawback is that you can only fit a limited amount in the air fryer - so depending on how many people you are making these for, you may choose to use the oven instead.
- choose pre-washed potatoes - if you buy unwashed potatoes you will just need to spend a bit of extra time scrubbing them clean.
- squashing the potatoes - I have used a potato masher to squash the potatoes down but you could also use the bottom of a glass. The thinner you squash the potatoes, the crispier they cook!
- potato quantity - my rule of thumb is to allow 1-2 potatoes per person, depending on their appetite and how big/small the potatoes are!
Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes Variations
If you're wanting to get creative with this recipe then here are some delicious variations for you to try:
- Parmesan Crusted - grate parmesan on the top of the potatoes before cooking.
- Loaded - load with cashew sour cream, chives and bacon bits for a twist on the classic.
- Mexican - add about ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil to a bowl along with 1 teaspoon of paprika, half a teaspoon of cumin and 1 teaspoon of dried oregano. Mix to combine and use this oil to baste the potatoes with before frying.
- Garlic - spread crushed garlic and olive oil and season with salt & pepper.
See what I mean? The world is your oyster when it comes to smashed potatoes!
Pin For Later
Loved these Crispy Smashed Potatoes? You might like to try these...
Gluten Free Dairy Free Zucchini Slice
- Large Casserole Pan
- Potato Masher
- Air Fryer
- Basting Brush
- 8 small potatoes white, skin on
- 3 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- sea salt flakes
- cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley fresh, finely chopped, optional
- Place the potatoes into a large casserole pan or stock pot, cover with water and bring the boil. Boil for 30 minutes or until potatoes are soft when pierced with a fork.8 small potatoes
- When the potatoes are cooked, remove from the stove and carefully strain off the boiling water.
- Place as many potatoes as can fit onto the base of the air fryer basket. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.3 tablespoons olive oil, sea salt, cracked black pepper
- Place basket into the air fryer and cook for 15 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius (356 F).
- Once baked, transfer the crispy smashed potatoes onto a serving plate and top with finely chopped fresh parsley to serve.1 tablespoon parsley
Leave a Reply