This Asian-Style Ground Chicken Rice Bowl Recipe is hands down one of my favorite easy weeknight meals. In under 30 minute you have a meal that is big on flavor and has all of the nutrients needed for a well balanced meal.
With flavorsome chicken, crunchy fresh veggies and fluffy rice you really can't go wrong with these easy and delicious ground chicken rice bowls. For more easy meals, you need to try my Baked Salmon Poke Bowls, Ginger Teriyaki Chicken Bowls or my Greek Chicken Tray Bake.
What You'll Love About Ground Chicken Rice Bowls
- meal prep - whether you're looking to meal prep healthy meals for dinner or easy lunches, this is the perfect recipe for meal prepping!
- allergy friendly - this delicious Asian chicken rice bowl is gluten free, dairy free and nut free, making it perfect for anyone with these sensitivities.
- easy recipe - if you're looking for easy weeknight dinners then this is the perfect meal for you! With only 15 minutes of preparation time and 15 minutes of cooking time, this Asian ground chicken rice bowl is perfect for busy nights!
- delicious - this easy chicken rice bowl is absolutely delicious and a dish that the whole family will love!
Ingredients Notes & Substitutions
Using minimal and simple ingredients, this ground chicken bowl is a quick and easy dinner to make. See the ingredients you need listed below as well as any notes and possible substitutions. You can find the full list of ingredients quantities listed in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Jasmine rice - Jasmine rice is a short grain white rice. You can also use a long grain white rice like basmati. Or swap for brown rice, black rice or red rice. You could also use my Cilantro Lime Rice recipe as a delicious alternative! The rice can be cooked on the stove top or in the rice cooker, which you prefer. Cauliflower rice is a good low carb alternative.
- Lean ground chicken breast - you can use other varieties of ground meat like ground beef, ground turkey or ground pork. Another alternative is to buy chicken breasts and blend them in the food processor.
- Brown onion - brown onion can be swapped for white onion or purple or red onion.
- Tamari - Tamari is similar to soy sauce but gluten free. You can also use gluten free soy sauce or regular soy sauce if you are not gluten intolerant. You can also use coconut aminos instead of Tamari.
- Hoisin sauce -
- Garlic cloves - I prefer to use fresh garlic cloves, however to reduce preparation time you can use jarred minced garlic or a ½ teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Sesame oil - sesame oil adds a delicious flavour to the dish. If you don't have any on hand you can just use more extra virgin olive oil in its place.
- Lebanese cucumber - thinly slice the cucumber into rounds and serve atop the rice.
- Radish - thinly slice the radish to serve atop the rice. You can use any other fresh vegetables of choice like red bell pepper (capsicum), snow peas or thinly sliced carrot sticks (julienned).
- Broccoli - use any other green vegetables of choice like broccolini or green beans.
- Green onions - Also known as spring onions.
How to Make Ground Chicken Rice Bowl
It is actually so easy to make this yummy meal. Follow my step-by-step guide below for best results.
First, prepare all of the vegetables. Slice the cucumber, radish and green onions and set aside. Cut the broccoli into florets and place into a medium heat proof bowl.
Next, prepare the rice. Add the Jasmine rice to a large saucepan and fill with water. Use your hand to swish the rice around, helping to remove excess starches. Strain off the starchy water and repeat this step another two times.
Add 2 ½ cups of water to the rice in the saucepan and place on the stovetop. Turn to a high heat and bring to a boil. Boil for 2-3 minutes and then reduce to a simmer, with the lid half on. Once most of the water has been absorbed by the rice, place the lid on fully and turn off the heat, allowing the rice to steam.
Mix together the sauce by adding the hoisin, tamari, garlic and sesame oil to a medium bowl. Whisk to combine and set aside.
While the rice is cooking, begin cooking the ground chicken. First add the olive oil to a large skillet or fry pan on a medium high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the onion and cook until translucent. Add the ground chicken, using a wooden spoon or spatula to break up.
While the chicken is browning, boil the kettle and once boiled, pour the boiling water over the broccoli. As soon as the broccoli is a vibrant green, strain into a colander.
Once the chicken is browned, pour the sauce in and allow to simmer for around 5 minutes, stirring the sauce through to evenly coat the chicken.
To serve, divide the rice between four bowls (or containers if meal prepping). Top the bed of rice with the ground chicken, sliced radish, sliced cucumber, blanched broccoli florets and thinly sliced green onions. Serve warm.
- spicy - to make spicy ground chicken, add ¼ teaspoon chili powder while cooking (or more or less depending on your taste preference). Alternatively you could add sriracha sauce to the sauce before adding to the chicken. Again, just add to your own spice preference. Or sprinkle red pepper flakes over the top of the dish before serving.
- lettuce wraps - add the rice, ground chicken mixture and your choice of toppings to a large iceberg lettuce leaf and wrap up before eating.
- lime and ginger - add a knob of fresh ginger, peeled and grated, as well as fresh lime juice from one lime to the sauce mixture before adding to the chicken.
Once the leftovers have cooled to room temperature, store in an airtight container. To meal prep - divide the rice and chicken between four meal prep containers. Divide the toppings between four smaller meal prep containers. Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat the chicken and rice before serving with the toppings.
- Large saucepan
- Frying pan
- Large saucepan or rice cooker
- Chopping Board
- Sharp knife
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Large heat proof bowl
- 2 cups Jasmine rice
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- ¼ cup tamari
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- 1 brown onion peeled and diced
- 500 grams ground chicken free range
- 1 head broccoli cut into florets
- 4 radish thinly sliced
- 2 medium Lebanese cucumbers sliced into thin rounds
- 2 stems spring onion finely sliced
- Add rice to the saucepan and fill with water. Use clean hands to swish the rice around in the water to remove excess starches. Strain off the water and repeat this process another two times.
- Add 2 ½ cups water to the rice in the saucepan. Place on the stovetop and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer with the lid partially on. Simmer until most of the water has been absorbed. At this point, place the lid on properly and turn off the heat, allowing the rice to steam.
- While the rice cooks, add tamari, sesame oil, hoisin sauce and garlic to a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
- Drizzle olive oil to a frypan and bring to a medium heat. Add the onions and fry until translucent. Add the ground chicken and brown, breaking up with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, add the sauce and stir through to coat the chicken evenly. Allow to simmer for a few minutes or until the sauce begins to thicken slightly.
- While the chicken is cooking, add the broccoli florets to a large heat proof bowl and boil the kettle. Once the kettle has boiled, pour the boiling water over the broccoli. As soon as the broccoli is a vibrant green, carefully strain into a colander.
- To serve, divide rice among bowls and top with chicken, broccoli, cucumber, radish and green onions.