This quick and easy Asian Salad Dressing is filled with flavours of tamari, sweet honey, garlic and fresh ginger. Our Asian sesame dressing is the perfect salad dressing for our Asian Slaw recipe, leafy green salads, noodle salads, to drizzle over rice bowls or marinate your favourite protein in.
I am big fan of making my own salad dressings because they are quick and easy and taste SO good. They can also have lots of flavour if you use the right combination of ingredients (like this yummy dressing!). You might also like to try some of my other homemade dressings like my Chili Lime Dressing or Ginger Citrus Dressing.
What You'll Love About This Recipe
If you're on the fence about trying my Asian salad dressing recipe then let me convince you.
- Use as a dressing, dipping sauce or marinade.
- Quick and easy to make, made in just 5 minutes!
- Stores well in the fridge for up to one week.
- This terrific dressing has no refined sugar and is perfect for healthy salads.
Ingredients for Asian Dressing Recipe
All of the ingredients for this delicious recipe can be found at the local grocery store. This recipe is perfect just as it is, with the perfect mix of Asian flavours. However, sometimes we don't have everything on hand that we need so I have listed some potential substitutions.
- Tamari - if you can't find tamari you can also use regular soy sauce or gluten free soy sauce.
- Rice wine vinegar - rice wine vinegar can be swapped for Apple Cider Vinegar.
- Honey - can be swapped pure maple syrup or agave syrup.
- Fresh garlic - minced. Can be swapped for a teaspoon of jarred minced garlic.
- Fresh ginger - finely grated. You could also use a half teaspoon of ginger paste.
- Sesame oil - sesame oil adds a delicious flavour to this dressing. However, if you have an allergy to sesame seeds or don't have any on hand feel free to use extra virgin olive oil.
- add red pepper flakes (chili flakes) for a spicier version.
All of the ingredient quantities and nutritional information can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to Make Delicious Asian Salad Dressing
There are two different ways to make this homemade salad dressing. You can either add all ingredients to a bowl and whisk to combine. Or (and this is the easiest way) add all of the ingredients to a small jar with a tight-fitting lid and give it a quick shake.
Store this salad dressing in a glass jar or glass airtight container in the fridge for up to 4-5 days.
How to Use
This dressing is best served at room temperature. If stored in the fridge, remove from the fridge about ten minutes before using for best results. Below are some ideas for how to use this tasty dressing to create delicious Asian-inspired recipes and healthy dinners:
- marinate chicken breasts overnight or for at least one hour before cooking.
- marinate salmon to make my Baked Salmon Poke Bowls.
- drizzle over hot or cold noodles with raw finely chopped veggies (like red cabbage, green onions and bell peppers).
- use to marinate tofu before frying.
- use to make an Asian chicken salad or other healthy salad recipes.
- small jar with tight-fitting lid
- or a small mixing bowl
- Garlic mincer
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger fresh
- Add the tamari, sesame oil, fresh ginger, fresh garlic, rice wine vinegar and honey to a small jar.
- Place the lid onto the jar and shake well until the dressing is well combined.
- Alternatively, you can add all of the ingredients to a small mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Use to dress rice or noodle salads, green salads, Asian style Coleslaw, rice bowls, use as a marinade for your favourite protein or use as a dipping sauce .