This vibrant and zesty Ginger Citrus Dressing is made using fresh orange and lemon juice, zest, ginger and honey. It is full of flavour and perfect for a fresh, crunchy salad like my Chopped Kale Salad.
If you've been to my website before then you probably know already that I'm obsessed with homemade salad dressings. That's because they are so easy and quick to make, you get to choose your ingredients and they are much healthier then most store-bought dressings!
For more healthy recipes for homemade dressings, try my Chili Lime Dressing, Maple Dijon Vinaigrette or my Lemon Tahini Dressing.
What You'll Love About this Recipe
This homemade vinaigrette is packed full of goodness with so much to love. Here's some of the best things about this recipe.
- this simple recipe is quick and easy to make.
- use as a dressing for your favourite salad or a marinade for your favourite protein.
- bright citrus flavours that perfectly compliment the fresh ginger.
- this recipe is full of healthy fats, which help the absorption of fat soluble vitamins like Vitamin A, D, E & K.
- this delicious drizzle-able dressing is perfect over fresh leafy greens, steamed or fresh veggies and more!
Dressing Ingredients Notes & Substitutions
See below for the ingredients required this homemade dressing. I've also included any possible substitutions or swaps that you can make if need be.
- fresh orange juice - I've chosen orange juice as on of the main ingredients in this citrus dressing as it adds a lovely sweetness to the dressing.
- orange zest - se the fine side of a box grater or a zester to zest.
- fresh lemon juice - Fresh lemon juice is so much better than the lemon juice in a bottle. The flavour is much nicer and in a salad dressing you really want to highlight the fresh flavours. You can swap lemon juice for lime juice if desired.
- lemon zest - if using lime juice, swap lemon zest for lime zest. Use the fine side of a box grater or a zester to zest.
- rice wine vinegar - rice vinegar can be swapped for apple cider vinegar.
- grated ginger - se the fine side of a box grater or a zester to zest.
- avocado oil - avocado oil is great for it's neutral flavour. You could also use extra virgin olive oil, macadamia oil, flaxseed oil or hemp seed oil.
- honey - you can also use pure maple syrup or agave nectar instead of honey if vegan.
For the ingredient quantities see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to Make Ginger Citrus Dressing
There are two ways to make this homemade dressing. You can either whisk it together in a bowl, which is how I tend to make salad dressings these days. You can throw all of the ingredients into a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake vigorously until the dressing is well combined. Whichever way you choose will work just fine.
If you're using my method of whisking the ingredients together in a bowl, simply add the orange juice and zest, lemon juice and zest, rice wine vinegar, grated ginger and honey to a bowl and whisk to combine. Begin to slowly pour in the avocado oil while whisking until it is completely incorporated into the juice.
Drizzle over your favourite salad and enjoy!
This dressing is best stored in a glass jar with a secure lid or in an airtight container (glass is best), in the fridge for up to one week. The avocado oil will harden in the fridge so it is best to pull the dressing out of the fridge about 10 minutes before going to use it and standing it in a bowl with warm water to liquify.
- drizzle over my Chopped Kale Salad recipe or your favourite salad.
- use to marinade chicken, duck breasts or tofu steaks.
- drizzle over poke bowls.
- Chopping Board
- Small Mixing Bowl or glass jar
- Box grater
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- ½ cup avocado oil
- 2 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoon finely grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 2 teaspoon honey
- Make the dressing by adding the orange juice and zest, lemon juice and zest, grated ginger, sea salt, rice wine vinegar and honey to a bowl and whisking to combine.2 tablespoons lemon juice, 2 tablespoons orange juice, 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar, 2 teaspoon orange zest, 2 teaspoon lemon zest, 2 teaspoon finely grated ginger, ½ teaspoon sea salt flakes, 2 teaspoon honey
- Slowly start to pour in the avocado oil while still whisking until all of the oil is incorporated and the dressing is emulsified (meaning the oil no longer separates from the juice).½ cup avocado oil
- Alternatively, add all of the ingredients to a glass jar with a firm fitting lid and shake vigorously to combine.
- Drizzle the salad dressing over your favourite salad and toss to combine. Alternatively, use the salad dressing as a marinade for chicken, duck breasts or tofu.
- use to pour over my Chopped Kale Salad
- marinade tofu, chicken or duck breasts.
- use to dress your favourite salad.
Leave a Reply