If you love chocolate then you're going to want to try this Gluten Free Chocolate Tart! Think a luscious, vegan chocolate ganache filling held together with a golden, gluten free pie crust. You would never know that this healthy chocolate tart recipe is egg free, dairy free, gluten free & vegan. If you're wanting to create a showstopper dessert for your next party then, my friend, look no further!
This luscious and smooth, rich chocolate filling is complimented perfectly with a crispy and golden, gluten-free tart crust. The chocolate filling is a dairy free ganache made using dark chocolate, for that rich chocolate flavor.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
You will love this delicious Vegan Chocolate Pie because:
- it is gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free.
- there is no added sugar, making this a healthier dessert.
- it is the perfect dessert for chocolate lovers.
- dairy free chocolate ganache that melts in your mouth!
This recipe calls for my Gluten Free Sweet Shortcrust Pastry as the pie crust. While there are mostly simple ingredients that are easily found at your local grocery store in this recipe, some maybe a bit harder to source. For example, coconut butter probably won't be at your local grocery store but should be at your local organic grocery or online.
Pie Crust Ingredients
- almond flour (or blanched almond meal)
- buckwheat flour
- tapioca starch
- sea salt flakes
- pure maple syrup
- coconut butter
- vanilla extract
Vegan Chocolate Ganache Ingredients
For the filling? A rich vegan chocolate ganache made with just two (yes, two!) main ingredients. You will need:
- vegan dark chocolate - check to make sure it is gluten-free chocolate if Coeliac.
- tinned coconut milk
Hint: Because chocolate is the main ingredient in this recipe, it is important to buy quality chocolate! The level of darkness is completely up to you and your tastes. I prefer to use 70% dark chocolate, but for some this may be too bitter. In that case a 50-60% dark chocolate might be preferred.
- mixed fresh berries
- toasted hazelnuts
- edible flowers (serious fancy factor here)
See the recipe card for quantities.
- tart pan (with removable base) or a springform pan
- food processor
- Small Saucepan
- Heat Proof Bowl
- Measuring Cups & Spoons
The below substitutions can be made in this recipe.
- dark chocolate - use semi-sweet chocolate or dark chocolate chips.
- coconut milk - for a more creamy ganache use coconut cream. Heavy cream can be used if not dairy free or vegan.
How to Make
Follow the instructions on how to make the pie crust mixture, bake the pie crust and then cool to room temperature. Once the pie crust is prepared, follow the bellow instructions.
STEP 1: Melt chocolate. Place a heatproof bowl atop a saucepan of water. Turn to a low heat. Once the water is simmering, break the dark chocolate up into the bowl. Use a spoon to stir frequently while melting. Add the coconut milk to the melted chocolate.
STEP 2: Make chocolate ganache. Whisk the chocolate and coconut milk together until well combined. Continue whisking until you reach a smooth and glossy texture. Don't worry if the mixture looks like it's separating, just keep whisking and it will come together.
STEP 3: Set tart filling. Pour the dairy free chocolate ganache into the pre-baked tart shell and place into the fridge to set. Once set, remove the vegan chocolate tart from the fridge and slice to serve.
STEP 4: Serve. Remove the tart from the tart tin by pushing up carefully on the removable bottom. Transfer to a serving plate and top with toasted hazelnuts and berries. Alternatively serve topped with flaky sea salt.
Because the chocolate ganache in this tart is quite rich, I would suggest serving with berries (as pictured) and a dollop of your favourite cream or thick coconut yoghurt.
You could also serve this tart topped with vanilla ice cream (dairy free and vegan if required).
- Mini Vegan Chocolate Tarts - Use mini tart cases to create mini vegan chocolate tarts. This recipe will make approximately 6 mini tarts, depending on the size of your tart cases!
- Vegan Raspberry Tart - To make this variation, add 1 cup of fresh raspberries to the ganache and stir through before pouring the ganache into the tart shell. Alternatively, you could scatter the raspberries across the base of the baked tart shell and pour the ganache over the top.
Store the chocolate tart in an airtight container or on a plate covered with compostable plastic wrap for up to
Pin For Later
More Gluten Free Dairy Free Desserts
- 1 portion gluten free sweet shortcrust pastry
- 250 grams dark chocolate vegan
- 540 mL coconut milk tinned
- 2 cups raspberries blueberries or blackberries
- ½ cup hazelnuts toasted
- Bake the shortcrust pastry as per the recipe instructions.1 portion gluten free sweet shortcrust pastry
- To make the ganache, break the dark chocolate up into chunks and place into a glass bowl atop a saucepan of boiling water. Stir occasionally while melting.250 grams dark chocolate
- Once chocolate is completely melted, pour the coconut milk into the dark chocolate and whisk until smooth and glossy.540 mL coconut milk
- Pour the chocolate ganache into the baked tart shell. Place into the refrigerator for 1 hour to set, or longer depending on how firm you would like the ganache.
- Once set, remove from the refrigerator and top with berries and hazelnuts if desired.2 cups raspberries, ½ cup hazelnuts
Did you make this recipe? Let us know how you went by rating the recipe and commenting below.