A healthy rocky road recipe using dark chocolate, homemade rose marshmallows, pistachios, cranberries and toasted coconut. This dairy free rocky road is a dream! Not only dairy free, it is also gluten free as well.
What Makes this Healthy Rocky Road?
So how am I making this Rocky Road healthy you ask? Here's how:
Homemade Marshmallows - Marshmallows are a BIG part of rocky road - without them is it really even rocky road? Most store bought marshmallows are made with high fructose corn syrup, which is basically the worst type of sugar that you can eat. Instead of store bought, this rocky road uses a home-made, honey marshmallow! Don't worry, they are really easy to make. I even have a full, step-by-step guide here for you to check out.
Dark Chocolate - The other essential part of rocky road is obviously the chocolate. Instead of using milk chocolate, which is higher in sugar and usually based on milk solids, this recipe calls for dark chocolate. I like to use an organic 70% dark chocolate (Green & Blacks to be precise).
Dried Cranberries - Instead of jelly lollies, I use organic dried cranberries. I buy fruit juice sweetened cranberries from the bulk foods store as a lot of dried cranberries are loaded with sugar. BUT, if that's all you can find then that is still better than using lollies.
Pistachios - Nuts are high in healthy fats, fibre and protein, which helps to provide more sustained energy.
So with all of that being said, here are all of the ingredients that you will need for this dark chocolate rocky road recipe:
- grass-fed gelatin
- raw honey
- rose water - try to buy a natural rose water without preservatives or artificial flavours. I've used this Chef's Choice brand from the health food store.
- organic dark chocolate
- toasted coconut
- organic dried cranberries
How to Make Gluten Free Rocky Road
Once you've made the marshmallows, throwing this rocky road together is very quick and easy. Simply:
- melt the chocolate
- add the marshmallows, cranberries, toasted coconut and pistachios to a bowl and stir to combine.
- drizzle the melted chocolate over the dry ingredients and stir through quite quickly.
- Pour out into a baking paper lined slice tin or medium sized baking dish. Top with dried rose petals if required.
- Refrigerate until set.
- Slice with a sharp knife into desired sizes.
The ingredients in this recipe contain no gluten, so this rocky road is gluten free. To make sure this recipe is dairy free, make sure you check the ingredients of the dark chocolate that you buy. Most dark chocolates will be dairy free.
Pin For Later
Rose Homemade Marshmallow
- ⅛ cup gelatin powder
- 60 mL water
- Tapioca starch for dusting pan
- 60 mL water
- 90 mL honey
- 2 teaspoon rose water
- 270 g organic dark chocolate
- ⅓ cup shredded coconut toasted
- ⅓ cup pistachio shelled
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries organic
- dried rose petals optional
- First, prepare the marshmallow by pouring 60mL water into a medium bowl. Sprinkle gelatin evenly over the top of the water, stir together briefly and leave to bloom.⅛ cup gelatin, 60 mL water
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper and dust with a fine layer of tapioca starch. Set aside.Tapioca starch for dusting pan
- Create a honey syrup by adding honey and water to a saucepan and whisking to combine. Place saucepan onto a high heat and bring to a boil for around 2 minutes or until temperature reaches 116-188 degrees Celsius.60 mL water, 90 mL honey
- With electric beaters in one hand, slowly pour honey syrup into bloomed gelatin while beating to combine. Beat for 8 minutes, slowly increasing the speed. While beating, add in the rose water.2 teaspoon rose water
- Once the mixture is white and fluffy, pour into the pre-prepared loaf tin. Place tin in freezer for 1 hour to set.
- Once the marshmallow is set, remove from the freezer and use a sharp knife, dusted in tapioca starch, to cut into small cubes. Dust each cube in tapioca starch and store in an airtight contain, between layers of baking paper to prevent sticking.
- Next it is time to melt the dark chocolate. Add a saucepan filled ⅓ full of water. Place the saucepan onto the stovetop and bring to a medium heat. Top the saucepan with a heatproof bowl. Break up the dark chocolate into chunks and place into bowl. Stir occasionally to melt evenly.270 g organic dark chocolate
- Once the chocolate is melted, set aside for 5 minutes to bring the temperature down.
- Add the toasted coconut, pistachio, dried cranberries and cubed marshmallow to a bowl and stir to combine. Top with melted chocolate, mixing through quickly.⅓ cup shredded coconut, ⅓ cup pistachio, ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- Pour out into baking paper lined slice tin and spread out evenly. Top with dried rose petals if desired. Place into fridge to set for approximately 1 hour. Once completely set, remove from the fridge and use a sharp knife to slice into pieces. Place rocky road pieces into an airtight container and return to the fridge until ready to eat.dried rose petals
Did you make this rocky road recipe? Let us know how you went by rating the recipe and commenting below.