This Zucchini and Pea Egg Free fritter recipe is also gluten free, dairy free and nut free. Perfect for the school lunchbox, as an on-the-go snack or a delicious and heathy breakfast.
Are you vegan, allergic to eggs or following a more plant-based diet? Then this egg free fritter recipe is for you. Personally? I love eating plant-based foods but I don't follow a strict plant-based diet. Actually the reason why I created this fritter recipe is because the school that my older two kiddos go to has a strict no egg and no nut policy. I find it easy enough to create nut free lunches, however creating egg free lunches is a little bit more challenging (in my opinion). Eggs do provide such an easy source of protein and are highly nutritious. Not to mention that they make gluten free baking a whole lot easier.
In saying that, I am always up for a challenge when it comes to creating allergy friendly recipes. Eggs play an important part in many recipes by binding and leavening. In this recipe we didn't need leavening, we just needed to bind the mixture. Ingredients that work well at binding a mixture include:
- chickpea flour
- tapioca starch
- linseeds (1 tablespoon linseeds + 3 tablespoon water = 1 egg)
- chia seeds
For this recipe I have used chickpea flour for binding. Chickpea flour, also known as besan flour, is high in protein and fibre.
Tips for making this egg free fritter recipe:
- Use a non-toxic non-stick pan. Chickpea flour sticks a lot more than eggs so cooking in a stainless steel frypan will be challenging.
- Bake these fritters if you don't have a non-stick pan or you are short on time.
- Fry the fritters on a low heat to allow for even cooking.
- These egg free fritters are best stored in a glass container in the fridge or freezer.
These zucchini & pea egg free fritters are amazing for breakfast, lunch or a quick on-the-go snack. Here's some suggestions for you:
- For breakfast serve with egg, smoked salmon, prosciutto, hummus or cashew cream cheese + leafy greens.
- Cut into quarters and arrange in school lunchbox with carrot sticks + hummus + berries + slice of gluten free Vanilla Sheet Cake
- Spread with cashew cream cheese for a quick snack.
- Serve with your favourite salad for lunch + toasted seeds.
Happy fritter making! Let me know your serving suggestion ideas for these delicious fritters in the comments below. Don't forget to tag @ournourishingtable in your recipe recreations on Instagram and Facebook. Pin this recipe to Pinterest to save for later.
- Non-stick frypan
- Measuring Cups
- 2 cups green peas frozen
- 2 cups zucchini grated
- 1 brown onion peeled and grated
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and grated
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley roughly chopped
- ½ cup chickpea flour
- ¼ cup brown rice flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder aluminium free
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoon soy milk or other plant based milk
- First, boil a kettle full of water. Place frozen peas into a large heat-proof bowl and poor boiling water over to cover. Allow to sit for 5 minutes to defrost and lightly blanch the peas.2 cups green peas
- In a seperate mixing bowl add the grated zucchini, onion and garlic. Then add the flat leaf parsley.2 cups zucchini, 1 brown onion, 2 garlic cloves, 1 cup flat leaf parsley
- Strain the peas and then add the peas to the mixing bowl. Use the back of a fork to roughly mash half of the peas.2 cups green peas
- To the mixing bowl add the chickpea flour, brown rice flour, baking powder, olive oil and soy milk. Use the fork to mix the mixture until well combined.½ cup chickpea flour, ¼ cup brown rice flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 2 tablespoon soy milk
- Turn a non-stick pan onto a low heat and add about a tablespoon of olive oil. Add a spoonful of mixture to the pan, using the spoon to form into a circular shape. Cooking 3 - 4 fritters at a time. When the fritters are golden brown on the bottom, flip each fritter with an egg flip and press down firmly. Once fritters are golden brown on second side, transfer to a plate.
- Repeat the previous step until all of the batter has been used.
- Serve fritters straight away or store in a glass container in the fridge for later use.