This dairy cream cheese frosting is made using cashews and naturally sweetened with pure maple syrup. Paleo Cream Cheese Frosting is thick and luscious and tastes so good! Being refined sugar free, this frosting will keep your blood sugar levels steady (no sugar spikes here!).
This delicious dairy free cream cheese frosting goes perfectly on our Gluten Free Carrot Cake or Gluten Free Vanilla Sheet Cake. This frosting recipe is perfect for anyone on a paleo diet or needing to avoid dairy or for anyone wanting to reduce refined sugars.
Ingredients for Vegan Cashew Frosting
To make this yummy frosting recipe you will need:
- Cashews - These need to be raw cashews soaked either overnight or for at least 3 hours.
- Pure Maple Syrup - Always go with pure maple syrup as it is far healthier then maple flavoured syrup (which is just high fructose corn syrup).
- Lemon Juice & Zest - for that delicious tang that you get from cream cheese!
- Coconut Milk - this is tinned coconut milk, not coconut beverage.
Making Paleo Cream Cheese is so simple. You will need a high powered food processor or blender to get this cashew cream cheese frosting extra creamy. See our step by step guide below:
STEP 1 - Add ingredients to blender. Add the soaked cashews, coconut milk, lemon juice and zest to a high powered food processor or blender.
STEP 2 - Blend until creamy. Blend on high, occasionally stopping to scrape down the sides with a spatula, until creamy and smooth.
How long can you store Paleo Cream Cheese Frosting?
Cashew Cream Cheese frosting needs to be stored in the fridge covered (ideally in an airtight container) and can be kept refrigerated for up to 3 days. Alternatively, you can freeze for up to 3 months in a sealed container and use as needed.
Is this recipe healthy?
Yes. This recipe is much higher in protein, essential fatty acids and fibre then regular frosting. It is also much lower in sugar, which means it doesn't cause a blood sugar spike.
Do I measure the cashews before or after soaking?
Measure two cups of raw cashews before soaking.
Is there a faster way of soaking the cashews?
Yes. If you are short on time you can pour boiling water over the cashews instead of cold water. The cashews will still need to soak for around 30 minutes to an hour.
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- High Powered Blender or food processor
- 2 cups raw cashews soaked in water for minimum 3 hours
- 4 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 60 millilitres lemon juice from approximately 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest from approximately 1 lemon
- 140 mL coconut milk tinned
- Strain and rinse the soaked cashews and place into high powered blender or food processor.
- Add the pure maple syrup, lemon juice, lemon zest and coconut milk.
- Blend on high until smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape down the sides occasionally.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or use straight away to frost your favourite cake, loaf or muffins.
StorageOnce frosting has been used on a cake, loaf or muffins, the baked goods must be stored in the fridge and consumed within 3 days. Alternatively, you can store the frosted baked goods in the freezer and defrost as desired.
Did you make this Paleo Cream Cheese Frosting? Let us know how you went by rating the recipe and commenting below.
For more healthy eating inspiration follow Our Nourishing Table on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and TikTok.
Leave a Reply