A paleo banana bread recipe that is gluten free, refined sugar free and dairy free. This loaf takes only 12 minutes to put together and bakes in just over an hour. Store in the fridge and eat cold or heat up if you fancy.Jump to Recipe
Ingredients for Grain Free Banana Bread
To make a grain free, paleo banana bread I have used just ten ingredients. They are:
- Ripe bananas (derrr)
- Milk of choice
- Vanilla extract
- Pure Maple Syrup
- Almond meal
- Coconut Flour
- Baking Powder
- Dark choc Bits
My Preferred Ingredients
I prefer to use free range or organic eggs (happy chickens means happy banana bread am I right?).
You can use any plant based milk that you like. I've used a mixture of almond milk and coconut milk but you could use soy milk, oat milk, goats milk, cows milk etc. It's really up to you. If you are needing this recipe to be dairy free then opt for a plant based milk.
Opt for vanilla extract or a natural vanilla essence if possible. There are some vanilla essences out there that are artificially flavoured with vanilla. Using the real deal is going to be better for you and tastier.Jump to Recipe
The same goes for maple syrup. I always buy real, pure maple syrup. Try to steer away from maple "flavoured" syrup as this is based on high fructose corn syrup and then flavoured artificially. Pure maple syrup is definitely the healthier option.
I have used blanched almond meal to make this grain free banana bread recipe. If you only have natural almond meal then this will work well also.
Baking powder from the supermarket most often contains aluminium. I prefer to use aluminium free baking powder, which is available at health food stores and bulk food stores.
Dark chocolate bits are always my go-to as they are most often dairy free and tend to be lower sugar. This will depend on the brand that you buy but there are some great, organic, dairy free dark chocolates out there.
Here is what is good about this banana bread recipe:
- almond meal is high in protein and healthy fats, which lowers the glycemic index (meaning no crazy sugar spikes).
- coconut flour is high in fibre, helping to promote a healthy digestive system.
- this grain free banana bread recipe is low in sugar, sweetened with bananas and a small amount of pure maple syrup.
- One slice of this loaf is very filling and satisfying, meaning you won't be going back for more and more.
- Almond meal is a great plant based source of calcium.
- Being grain free, gluten free and dairy free, this banana bread is more easily digested by anyone with these food intolerances.
How to Serve & Store
It's best to allow this banana bread loaf to cool slightly before serving - if you cut straight from the oven it may crumble slightly. Serve warm or cool topped with some butter if desired or without.
Store this gluten free banana bread recipe in an airtight container in the fridge to keep for longer. It can also be sliced and then frozen for 2-3 months.
Pin Me for Later
Did you love this healthy banana bread recipe? Try these...
- Mixing Bowls
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Mixing Spoon
- Loaf Tin
- Baking Paper
- 3 eggs
- 3 bananas ripe
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup maple syrup pure
- 1 ½ cups almond meal blanched
- ⅔ cup coconut flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder alumnium free
- ½ cup dark chocolate bits
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a large mixing bowl add the almond meal, coconut flour, baking powder and choc bits. Mix to combine.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, mash the bananas. Add in the eggs, milk, vanilla and maple and whisk to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a baking paper lined loaf tin and place into oven. Bake for 1 hour and 5 minutes or until golden brown on top and skewer comes out clean when tested.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from loaf tin. Serve warm or cool.
StorageStore in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days or in the freezer (pre-sliced) for 2-3 months.
Did you make this recipe? Let us know how you went by rating the recipe commenting below.