This Spelt Flour Banana Bread recipe is a wholesome loaf that tastes amazing! This healthy banana bread recipe is a whole lot better for you then a lot of other banana bread recipes out there as it is refined sugar free, wheat free, low sugar and high fibre! It is also dairy free, which makes this spelt banana bread more tummy friendly.
Whole spelt flour is an ancient form of wheat and highly nutritious. Some may find it is more easily digested than wheat flour. This refined sugar free banana bread is a delicious snack and will have you wanting to come back for a second slice!
If you're looking for more healthy recipes using spelt flour, you might like to try my Spelt Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies and Spelt Flour Banana Muffins. Another great option is my oat flour banana bread! Find the full recipe below as well as tips and tricks for making the best banana bread.
Ingredients for Spelt Flour Banana Bread
The ingredients for this healthy spelt banana bread recipe are readily available from the supermarket. To make this quick bread you will need:
Spelt Flour - for this recipe I use wholemeal spelt flour, however you could also use white spelt flour.
Rapadura Sugar - I can usually find rapadura sugar at my local supermarket and always at my local Bulk foods store. If you have trouble finding it you can substitute for brown sugar.
Blanched Almond Meal - otherwise known as almond flour.
Baking Powder - I aways opt for an aluminium free baking powder if it's accessible.
Ground Cinnamon & Nutmeg
Mashed Bananas - it's best to use overripe bananas for this recipe.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil - I use extra virgin cold pressed olive oil as it is less processed than standard olive oil. This means more nutrients!
- medium bowl
- large mixing bowl
- measuring cups and spoons
- wire rack
- 8.5 inch loaf pan
How to Make Spelt Banana Bread
Similarly to my Spelt Banana Muffins, this recipe is a matter of mixing the wet ingredients together, mixing the dry ingredients together and then combining the two. It's such a great recipe and so easy! Read on to see the perfect way to make Spelt Flour Banana Bread:
Step 1: Mix Dry Ingredients. Preheat the oven and line a loaf pan with parchment paper. In a large bowl, sieve the spelt flour, baking powder, nutmeg and a teaspoon of cinnamon. Add the rapadura sugar and almond meal and whisk to combine.
Step 2: Mix Together Wet Ingredients. In a seperate mixing bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients (eggs, mashed banana, extra virgin olive oil and vanilla extract).
Step 3: Make Spelt Flour Banana Bread Batter. Make the spelt banana bread batter by pouring the wet mixture into the flour mixture and stirring together until just combined.
Step 4: Bake. Pour into an already prepared loaf pan and bake until golden brown on top and a skewer comes out clean when pierced into the centre. Remove from the oven. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Here are some tips for baking the perfect loaf:
- As this is quite a dense loaf I recommend baking this banana bread at 170 degrees Celsius (338 Farenheit).
- Baking this loaf in a lighter coloured tin (pictured) will means that the loaf will take longer to cook as it absorbs less heat. If you are baking in a dark coloured tin, the baking time will be less than what is stated in the recipe. For a dark coloured tin bake for 60 minutes.
- Use a potato masher to quickly and thoroughly mash the bananas.
- Allow to cool to room temperature before slicing to prevent crumbling.
This spelt banana bread freezes really well. Simply slice and place a small sheet of baking paper between each slice before freezing. Freeze in an airtight container. Reheat in the microwave, perfect for a rainy day!
If you don't have an airtight container, freeze on a tray or plate, placed inside a plastic bag and sealed tight.
To get the best results follow the original recipe. If necessary, below are some substitutions that can be made:
- Spelt flour - can be swapped for white whole wheat flour or rye flour.
- Eggs - eggs can be swapped for flax eggs.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - you can use melted coconut oil in place of olive oil, it will result in a more dense loaf however.
- Rapadura sugar - swap rapadura sugar for coconut sugar if desired.
Of course this spelt banana bread is delicious just as it is, but don't let that stop you from getting creative! Here are some fun variations that you can make:
- For Chocolate Chip Banana Bread, add ½ cup chocolate chips or chocolate chunks to the batter.
- Make a walnut and fig loaf - add ½ cup each of walnuts and dried figs.
Here are a few serving suggestions to make this bread even better!
- A great way to enjoy a slice of banana bread is by spreading butter, peanut butter or almond butter on top.
- Warm in the oven and top with ice cream and maple syrup for an indulgent dessert.
- Warm up the next day in the microwave for a soft and fluffy slice.
- 2 Mixing Bowl
- 1 Whisk
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Mixing Spoon
- Loaf Tin
- Baking Paper
- 1 ½ cups wholemeal spelt flour
- 1 cup almond meal
- 3 teaspoon baking powder aluminium free
- ½ cup rapadura sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large bananas ripe
- 1 cup olive oil extra virgin
- Pre-heat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
- In a large mixing bowl sift the spelt flour, baking powder, nutmeg and cinnamon. Add the almond meal and rapadura sugar and whisk to combine.1 ½ cups wholemeal spelt flour, 1 cup almond meal, 3 teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, ½ cup rapadura sugar
- In a seperate medium bowl whisk together the mashed banana, eggs, vanilla extract and olive oil.1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 3 large eggs, 2 large bananas, 1 cup olive oil
- Stir egg and banana mixture through dry mixture until well combined.
- Pour mixture into a well-oiled or baking paper lined loaf tin and place in the oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when placed in the middle. Note, if baking in a dark coloured loaf tin the baking time will be reduce. Bake for 60 minutes first and check to see if cooked.
- Once baked, remove the tin from the oven and allow to cool in tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling wrack.
StorageBanana bread is best stored in the fridge in the warmer months as the banana can turn quite quickly. To freeze, slice first and place baking paper between each slice. Freeze in a large airtight container.
Did you make this recipe? Let us know how you went by rating the recipe and commenting below.