Calling all pistachio lovers! If you tend to lean towards pistachio gelato then I have a feeling these Pistachio Overnight Oats will be your new go-to nutritious breakfast. I've given you two different ways to make this delicious breakfast.
For anyone new to overnight oats, the base recipe is simply a combination of rolled oats (definitely don't use steel cut oats!), soaked in a liquid of your choice (usually milk), with other flavors added. Overnight oats can be made with extra wholesome ingredients added in, like chia seeds, flaxseeds or hemp seeds, all of which give a nice nutrient boost to the dish. Oats are a great source of complex carbohydrates, while the seeds are a good source of protein, plant-based omega 3 and magnesium, among many more nutrients!
In my pistachio overnight oats recipe we use rolled oats combined with either pistachio milk OR almond milk + pistachio butter. Naturally sweetened with pure maple syrup, this pistachio oatmeal recipe is the perfect amount of sweetness! If you're looking for more healthy breakfast options try my Overnight Oats with Frozen Fruit, Bircher Muesli with Coconut Milk or my Carrot Cake Baked Oats.
What's To Love About Pistachio Overnight Oats
- easy breakfast option - overnight oats are great to make ahead of time for quick and easy breakfasts
- delicious pistachio flavor - with that delicate nuttiness and beautiful green color - you had me at pistachio! Some pistachio overnight oats recipes simply contain chopped pistachios on top of the oats - making them my way gives a delicious pistachio flavor with every mouthful.
- wholesome ingredients - this easy recipe is filled with nutritious ingredients like chia seeds, hemp seeds and oats (of course!).
Ingredients Notes & Substitutions
This recipe uses simple ingredients, like rolled oats, combined with some a little harder to find ingredients like pistachio milk or pistachio butter. These ingredients are usually available at health food stores or organic grocers. Below are all of the ingredients you will need as well as any possible substitutions.
- old fashioned rolled oats - rolled oats are a key ingredient in this recipe and can't be swapped for any other ingredient. I always choose to use wheat free, non-contaminated rolled oats as I am gluten intolerant. You can use quick oats for this recipe if desired.
- pure maple syrup - you can use another sweetener of choice like honey or agave. I prefer to avoid refined sugars where possible.
- chia seeds - you can swap chia seeds for more hemp seeds or use flaxseed meal.
- hemp seeds - swap hemp seeds for more chia seeds or use flaxseed meal.
- rose water - this can be found at deli's, grocery stores and health food stores. Rose and pistachio are a match made in heaven, however if you prefer you can use vanilla extract instead.
Ingredients for Overnight Oats with Pistachio Milk
- pistachio milk - pistachio is one of the most key ingredients to this recipe. If you can't find pistachio milk anywhere then you can follow the recipe using pistachio butter.
Ingredients for Overnight Oats with Pistachio Butter
- almond milk - you can use any other type of milk, like coconut milk beverage, oat milk, soy milk or cow's milk.
- pistachio butter - you could always steer away from pistachio altogether and use peanut butter, almond butter or cashew butter instead.
How to Make Pistachio Overnight Oatmeal
I love an easy recipe as much as the next person and this vegan overnight oats recipe is no different. Follow my step-by-step instructions to see how easy it is to throw together.
With Pistachio Milk
To a large bowl add the pistachio milk, maple syrup, rose water, chia seeds, hemp seeds and rolled oats. Whisk to combine. Cover with aluminium foil or compostable plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or for at least 3 hours.
Divide into individual containers or jars. A mason jar or glass airtight container would be perfect. Top with coconut yogurt, Greek yogurt or your yogurt of choice as well as chopped pistachios.
With Almond Milk + Pistachio Butter
Add the almond milk, pistachio butter, maple syrup and rose water to a bowl. Whisk until well combined and there are no lumps of pistachio butter in the mixture.
Add the rolled oats, hemp seeds and chia seeds to the bowl and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate to set as per the previous instructions.
- fresh fruit - top with fresh blueberries, banana slices, strawberries or any seasonal fruit of choice.
- edible dried rose petals - look, this is getting pretty fancy but oh so pretty.
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- 2 Mason jars or airtight containers
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon rose water or vanilla extract
With Pistachio Milk
- 1 cup pistachio milk
With Pistachio Butter + Milk
- 2 tablespoons pistachio butter
- 1 cup almond milk
- ½ cup coconut yogurt or Greek yogurt
- Chopped pistachios optional
- Rose petals optional
With Pistachio Milk
- Add the rolled oats, chia seeds and hemp seeds to a medium mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Top with pistachio milk, maple syrup and rose water and stir until well combined.
With Pistachio Butter + Almond Milk
- Add the pistachio butter, almond milk, rose water and maple syrup to a medium mixing bowl. Whisk until well combined and there are no lumps of pistachio butter.
- Add the rolled oats, chia seeds and hemp seeds to the bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Cover and place into the fridge to set overnight or for at least 3 hours.
- Once set, divide between two glass jars. Serve topped with yogurt, chopped pistachio kernels and rose petals.