There is so much to love about this Easy Strawberry Apple Crisp. A fruit filling made from gooey stewed strawberries and apples, topped with a golden brown, crisp topping, all of which is healthy enough to eat for breakfast or dessert.
I've long been a lover of fruit crisps, whether it's my Gluten Free Apple Crumble (my gluten free version of a classic apple crisp) or my Healthy Berry Breakfast Crumble, the soft and warm fruit goes so perfectly with a crunchy, sweet crispy topping. Using seasonal fruit, makes a crumble the perfect dessert for any season.
Things to Love About Apple Strawberry Crumble
- allergy friendly - this recipe is dairy free and can easily be made nut free.
- healthy & simple ingredients - this recipe using easy to find ingredients and is completely refined sugar free.
- eat for breakfast or dessert - serve with yogurt for a healthy breakfast or a big scoop of vanilla ice cream for a delicious dessert.
- great to meal prep - make ahead of time in individual serving size ramekins to easily reheat for breakfast.
- easy to make - this easy strawberry crisp really is a foolproof dessert recipe, with easy to follow instructions.
Ingredients Notes & Substitutions
Find a list of the ingredients including any notes and possible substitutions below. The ingredient quantities can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post. I love that this beautiful strawberry dessert showcases seasonal produce in the most delicious way! And also that you can take the most basic ingredients and turn them into something so delightful. To make my strawberry apple crisp recipe you will need the following ingredients:
- fresh strawberries - I love using fresh sweet strawberries in this crumble. I like to choose ripe strawberries that look like they would be beautifully juicey. But it's also a great way of using up end of season strawberries that don't taste amazing on their own. You could also use other fresh berries like raspberries, blueberries or mulberries. Personally I prefer to use fresh fruit for this crumble recipe, but you can use frozen berries if that's easier for you.
- granny smith apples - it's best to use a tart apple for this recipe like granny smith apples. You can of course use whatever type of apple you have accesable to you.
- vanilla extract - vanilla extract is optional but I just feels it adds an extra layer of flavor that is so delicious.
- tapioca flour - I use tapioca flour to thicken the strawberry mixture. You can also use corn flour or arrowroot flour.
Crispy Crumble Topping
- old fashioned rolled oats - you can also use quick oats. I like to buy wheat free, non-contaminated oats to avoid gluten.
- flaked almonds - if making nut free you can swap the almonds out for shredded coconut or more rolled oats. Otherwise leave them in for a delicious nutty flavor.
- rice flour - I've used white rice flour but you could also use buckwheat flour or brown rice flour. Or if you're not worried about gluten then you can use all purpose flour or whole wheat flour.
- pure maple syrup - can be swapped for honey.
- extra virgin olive oil - you can also use a mild flavoured oil like macadamia oil or avocado oil.
- vanilla extract
How to Make Apple Strawberry Crisp
To make my easy apple strawberry crisp, follow my step-by-step instructions.
First, preheat the oven and then it's time to make the fruit filling! Add the diced apples to a large saucepan along with the water and vanilla extract. Stir to combine and simmer until the apples begin to soften. At this point add the strawberries and the tapioca starch and stir through.
Once the strawberries start to cook down and the liquid is thickening, remove the saucepan from the heat and set aside.
To make the crisp, add the dry ingredients to a large bowl. Stir to combine. In a seperate bowl, whisk together the olive oil, maple syrup and vanilla. Pour the maple mixture into the oat mixture and stir until well combined and all of the dry ingredients are coated evenly.
Grease 5 individual ramekins (of about 1 cup capacity) with olive oil. Divide the fruit filling between the ramekins. Top the fruit filling in each ramekin with the crumble. Place the ramekins onto a large baking tray and into the oven to bake for around 25 minutes or until the topping is golden.
You can also create one large crumble, rather than individual portion sized crumbles by adding the fruit filling to a large pie dish or medium sized baking dish. Top with crumble and then bake.
Serve warm topped with:
- a big scoop of vanilla ice cream
- your favorite yogurt
Store leftover crisp for 3-4 days, covered, in the fridge. This crumble also freezes well, simply transfer to individual portion sized freezer-safe containers and freeze for up to 6 months.
- Chopping Board
- Sharp knife
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- Large saucepan
- Baking Tray
- Large spoon
- 750 g green apples skins and core removed, diced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 500 grams strawberries tops removed, quartered
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup flaked almonds
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- custard optional
- vanilla ice cream optional
- yogurt optional
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius (338 F).
- Add the diced apples, water and vanilla extract to a medium saucepan. Bring to a low heat and stir to combine. Simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking to the bottom of the pan. Once the apples are beginning to soften, add the strawberries and tapioca starch. Stir to combine.
- Once the strawberries start to soften, turn off the heat and set the saucepan aside.
- To make the crumble, add the rolled oats, almonds and rice flour to a bowl. Stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, olive oil and vanilla. Pour the maple mixture into the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Spoon the apple and strawberry filling into 4 individual ramekins or into one small baking dish. Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the top of the filling.
- Place the ramikens into the oven and bake for 25 minutes, or until crumble is golden.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm topped with your choice of either custard, yogurt or ice cream.
- for dessert top with yogurt or ice cream.
- for breakfast serve topped with yogurt.