This gluten free zucchini slice recipe can be a healthy, protein filled snack, lunch or light dinner. Serve warm straight from the oven or cold in work and school lunchboxes. This slice is a great way to sneak some extra vegetables into the kids!Jump to Recipe Jump to Video
Ingredients for Gluten Free Zucchini Slice
Ok, so most zucchini slice recipes are based on wheat flour and loaded with cheese. To make this more gut friendly Zucchini Slice you will need:
- brown onion
- spring onion (shallots)
- eggs - I always opt for free range and organic if possible
- extra virgin olive oil - always use extra virgin as it is much less processed & more nutrient dense
- buckwheat flour - high in B vitamins and an excellent gluten free flour to use in place of wheat flour
- baking powder - I opt for a gluten free and aluminium free baking powder
- arrowroot flour - tapioca starch or corn flour can be used if arrowroot flour can't be sourced
- sea salt & cracked black pepper
- bacon - if you are a coeliac, make sure the bacon you choose is gluten free
- cherry tomatoes - I love the tang that the cherry tomatoes add, but my kids don't like them as much. It's totally up to you if you add them or not!
How to Healthy Make Zucchini Slice
One of my favourite things about this recipe is that it requires just one bowl! Which means less cleaning up, win! Here's how to make this yummy, gluten free zucchini slice recipe:
Tips For Making
Here are some tips for making the best zucchini slice:
- make sure to grate the carrot on the fine side of the grater. This helps the carrot to almost dissolve into the mixture as it bakes.
- grate the zucchini on the course side of the grater - zucchini shrinks a lot as it cooks in this slice and still gives a nice texture to the slice when coarsely grated. Plus it helps it to stand out a bit more - this is a zucchini slice after all!
- grating the onion means that you don't get big chunks of undercooked onion throughout the slice. It also gives the slice a really lovely consistency and flavour.
- Sieve the baking powder because nobody like lumps of baking powder in their zucchini slice!
Other Recipes You Might Like
Did you love this gluten free zucchini slice recipe? You might like to check these out:
Pin For Later
Don't have time to make this right now? Create a Pinterest board called "Recipes to Make" and pin this image to it.
- Large mixing bowl
- Measuring Cups & Spoons
- Large Baking Dish
- Chopping Board
- Sharp knife
- 6 large eggs
- 1 large zucchini trimmed and grated
- 1 large carrot trimmed and finely grated
- 1 brown onion peeled & grated
- 5 stems spring onion trimmed and finely sliced
- ½ cup buckwheat flour
- ½ cup arrowroot flour or tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoon baking powder aluminium free
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- ⅔ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 100 g mixed cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 rashers bacon rind removed and thinly sliced, optional
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Grease a large baking dish and set aside.
- Crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl.6 large eggs
- Add the olive oil, zucchini, carrot, brown onion and spring onions. Seive in the buckwheat flour, arrowroot flour, baking powder, salt, pepper.1 large zucchini, 1 large carrot, 1 brown onion, 5 stems spring onion, ½ cup buckwheat flour, ½ cup arrowroot flour, 2 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes, Cracked black pepper, ⅔ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Use a fork to whisk together until well combined.
- If adding bacon, add the bacon pieces to the bowl and mix through. To make vegetarian, simply leave out the bacon.2 rashers bacon
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish and spread out evenly. Top with halved cherry tomatoes.100 g mixed cherry tomatoes
- Place into oven and bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven, slice and serve.
Did you make this recipe? Let us know how you went by rating the recipe and commenting below.