These healthy donuts are seriously yummy while being gluten free, dairy free and based on whole food ingredients. Baked in just 12 minutes, these irresistible Glazed Blueberry Donuts are just what you need when you want a healthy treat, fast!Jump to Recipe
Ingredients for Blueberry Donuts
The ingredients that you will need for this delicious healthy baked donut recipe are below:
- almond meal
- buckwheat flour
- tapioca starch
- baking powder (aluminium free)
- coconut sugar
- free range eggs
- extra virgin coconut oil
- plant based milk
- fresh or frozen blueberries
For the glaze you will need:
- powdered sugar (I've used an organic powdered sugar that is gluten free)
- fresh lemon juice
- plant based milk
How to Make Glazed Blueberry Donuts
Making these healthy baked donuts is very straight forward. Here's how:
- Divide the mixture evenly among the 12 donut moulds.
- Top with blueberries before placing into the oven to bake for 12 minutes.
To make the glaze:
- simply whisk the powdered sugar, lemon juice and milk together in a medium sized bowl.
- Take one donut at a time and dunk face down into the glaze mixture. Twist the donut as you remove it from the bowl and then set onto a plate or wire rack. Repeat this step until all of the donuts are glazed.
To make these baked blueberry donuts the perfect, fluffy texture once baked, the mixture needed to be a little runnier than a non-gluten free baked donut mixture. Because of this, I find it easier to poor the mixture into a small jug to pour into the individual donut moulds.
These donuts only need 12 minutes to bake in a fan forced oven. They won't be golden brown, they just need to spring back when pressed down gently.
Leave the donuts to cool for 5 minutes in the tin before removing. To remove the donuts from the mould, loosen the edges with a butter knife and gently prize out with the knife.
Pin For Later
Loved these gluten free baked donuts? Try these...
- 2 x 6 mould donut tin
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- Small saucepan
- Measuring Cups & Spoons
- small jug
- ½ cup buckwheat flour
- ½ cup tapioca starch
- ¾ cup almond meal
- 3 teaspoon baking powder aluminium free
- ½ cup coconut sugar or rapadura sugar
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup soy milk or other plant-based milk
- 250 g fresh blueberries
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon soy milk or other plant-based milk
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Grease 2 medium sized donut pans with olive oil and set aside.
- Add the almond meal and coconut sugar to a large mixing bowl. Into the bowl sieve the buckwheat flour, tapioca starch and baking powder and whisk to combine.
- Crack the eggs into a small bowl and whisk. Set aside.
- Add the coconut oil to a small saucepan on a medium heat to melt. Once melted, add the plant-based milk and vanilla extract and whisk to combine. Remove from the heat.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour the milk mixture in.
- Mix through slightly and then add the whisked egg and whisk through completely (this is so the hot liquid doesn't cook the egg).
- Spoon the mixture into a well-oiled donut pan. Make sure the mixture doesn't go above the centre "hole" otherwise there will be no hole in the donut once cooked.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until the donuts spring back when gently pushed down. Be careful not to overcook (mixture will go golden brown - if you let them cook until golden brown they will be too dry). Once removed from the oven, allow to cool in pan for about 5 minutes and then turn onto a cooling rack.
- To make the glaze, sieve the icing sugar into a bowl. Add the milk and lemon juice and whisk to combine.
- Dunk each donut face side down into the glaze and then place onto a plate or wire rack.
Did you make this recipe? Let us know how you went by rating the recipe and commenting below.