Weekend breakfasts never looked so good then with this Sourdough French Toast! Thick sourdough bread soaked in a custardy egg mixture and fried in butter until golden brown. Perfectly served with fresh berries or ice cream, this is the perfect recipe for a decadent start to the day.
This sourdough French toast recipe is absolutely delicious, the whole family will love it! Serve topped with your favourite ice cream (I've used coconut ice cream) and drizzle with my tahini chocolate sauce or top with yoghurt and berries.
This healthier version of French Toast uses plant based milk instead of heavy cream, making it a lighter option for breakfast.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
French toast really is the ultimate breakfast - it can be a decadent treat or a healthy breakfast staple. Here's why you'll love this delicious French toast.
- make using fresh sourdough bread or use up stale sourdough bread.
- a delicious recipe using just a handful of simple ingredients.
- this recipe is refined sugar free and can easily be made dairy free.
- homemade French toast is a low fuss recipe that is sure to impress and is perfect for a special occasion!
Ingredients Notes & Substitutions
Below is a list of all of the ingredients that you will need for this recipe as well as any notes and possible ingredient swaps.
- eggs - I always prefer to use cage free, free range eggs but this is a personal choice.
- pure maple syrup - you could also use honey or agave nectar to sweeten.
- pure vanilla extract
- soy milk - or other dairy-free milk like oat milk or almond milk. If using dairy milk I would recommend whole milk over skim milk.
- bread slices - for this recipe I've chosen to use sourdough bread, however you can really use whatever bread you prefer. You can use fresh bread or stale bread. Homemade sourdough bread would work perfectly!
- butter - I love using real butter for frying the French Toast in as it adds so much flavour. However to make dairy free you can fry in a vegan butter or olive oil is also a great option.
For ingredient quantities, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
There are so many delicious ways to serve Sourdough French Toast but here are some of my favourites.
- Top with coconut yoghurt, berries or slices of fresh fruit and drizzle with pure maple syrup.
- Serve topped with coconut ice cream and drizzled with my tahini chocolate sauce.
- Drizzle with tahini and date syrup and sprinkle hemp hearts over the top.
How to Make Sourdough French Toast
To make French Toast, you essentially soak slices of bread in an egg mixture and then fry the eggy bread in a skillet over a medium-low heat. I'll run through it in a little more detail below.
First add the eggs, maple syrup, vanilla extract and milk to a shallow bowl and whisk until combined. Add the thick slices of sourdough bread to the eggy mixture, one at a time. Allow the bread to soak up as much of the egg mixture as possible.
While the first piece of sourdough is soaking, add a pat of butter to a large skillet medium-low heat. Add the soaked bread to the hot skillet and cook on the first side until golden brown before flipping to cook until golden brown on the second side, cooking for around 2-3 minutes on each side.
Repeat step 2 and 3 with the remaining slice of bread. This recipe makes around 4 slices of French toast, however some sourdough soaks up more egg mixture than others so you may get more. Just use enough bread to soak up all of the egg mixture.
Serve the cooked French toast warm with your favourite toppings.
Store leftover French toast in an airtight container, separated by pieces of parchment paper in the fridge for up to 2 days. Alternatively, store individual slices in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 2 months.
A great way to reheat French Toast is to place a single layer of French toast into an air fryer. Cook at 180 degrees Celsius (360F) for 2-3 minutes or until warm.
You could also reheat in the oven on a baking sheet at the same temperature until warmed to your liking.
- shallow bowl for mixing
- Whisk or fork
- large skillet or frypan
- Egg Flip
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup soy milk or milk of choice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- butter for frying
- coconut ice cream optional
- fresh berries or seasonal fruit optional
- tahini chocolate sauce optional
- pure maple syrup optional
- In a shallow bowl add the eggs, vanilla extract, maple syrup and milk.
- Whisk until well combined.
- Add a slice of sourdough bread to the egg mixture and allow to soak on each side.
- Meanwhile, heat a knob of butter in a large skillet on a medium-low heat. Add the slice of soaked bread and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side (until golden brown on each side).
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 until all of the bread has been used.
- Serve warm with your favourite toppings.
- ice cream and tahini chocolate sauce
- fresh berries, coconut yoghurt and a drizzle of maple syrup
- drizzle with tahini and date syrup and sprinkle with hemp hearts
- top with almond butter, banana slices and honey
Leave a Reply