A serious favourite in my house (well of mine at least!), this Spelt Banana Bread Recipe tastes great but is also much healthier than the banana bread you would find at most coffee shops. This recipe is wheat free, low sugar, high fibre, dairy free and just all round awesome. It does contain almond meal but I have included an option to swap that out for sunflower seed meal if you have an almond allergy.
I have given you the basic recipe that I use, however don't be afraid to mix it up a bit and try some different variations. I love adding walnuts and figs to this recipe at times (just ½ cup of each or 1 cup if you are adding just walnuts or just figs) or you could try adding some choc chips (about a cup would do the trick). Personally I'm not big on choc chips in banana bread or banana muffins (I know! Say whaaaaaaaat!) but whatever floats your boat!
- 1 ½ cups wholemeal spelt flour
- 1 cup almond meal
- 3 teaspoon baking powder aluminium free
- ½ cup coconut or rapadura sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3 eggs
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup rice bran oil or macadamia oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
- In a large mixing bowl sift the flour and baking powder and then add the remaining dry ingredients.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the mashed banana, eggs, vanilla essence and oil.
- Stir egg and banana mixture through dry mixture until well combined.
- Pour mixture into a well-oiled or baking paper lined loaf tin and place in the oven for approximately 60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when placed in the meal.