Despite the name, these homemade, healthy baked beans recipe are made in just 10 minutes in a frypan (not baked). This gluten free recipe is also low in sugar with no refined sugar or dairy.
This really is the best baked beans recipe and makes for a filling and wholesome breakfast. With a rich tomato sauce, they go perfectly over a piece of buttery toast.
My kids go absolutely nuts for store bought baked beans. For me, baked beans have a few big positives - they are high in fibre and they provide a plant based source of protein. The downfall? They are really high in sugar, which negates the benefits, in my opinion. Making homemade baked beans means we can reduce added sugar and choose the type of sweetener used.
I'm glad that I finally got around to making up my own homemade baked beans recipe because the results were so, so good! This recipe is so delicious and so much healthier. Making baked beans from scratch is nowhere near as hard as it sounds. In fact, it is incredibly easy.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
You're going to love this healthier version of traditional baked beans. Whether you're making them for a protein filled breakfast or a side dish for late summer barbecues, you will come back time and time again to make this recipe.
- these healthy baked beans make the perfect side dish or main meal.
- Meal prep for a week of healthy, quick breakfasts!
- Much less sugar than baked beans from the grocery stores.
- Naturally sweetened, using no high fructose corn syrup.
- Cheap to make, using pantry staples.
You will only need 11 ingredients to make this easy baked beans recipe, all of which can easily be found at your local grocery store.
- extra virgin olive oil
- garlic cloves
- dijon mustard
- smoked paprika
- onion powder
- passata - passata is like a tomato puree, often used in Italian cooking.
- apple cider vinegar
- chicken stock
- pure maple syrup
- sea salt
- canned white beans (navy beans or haricot beans are best, but if you can't source them then use cannellini beans like I have done in this recipe).
See recipe card for a full list of ingredients quantities.
How to Make Healthy Baked Beans From Scratch
To make this simple baked bean recipe, follow the bellow instructions.
STEP 1: Fry garlic. Add the olive oil to a large frypan and bring to a medium heat. To the oil add the minced garlic and sauté until fragrant.
Add the passata, dijon mustard, smoked paprika, onion powder, apple cider vinegar, chicken stock, maple syrup and sea salt. Give the mixture a good stir to combine.
STEP 2: Simmer. Add the beans to the tomato sauce and simmer until the sauce begins to thicken slightly.
STEP 3: Serve. Serve warm with a crusty loaf of bread and butter.
Hint: If meal prepping, make a double batch and freeze in individual portions for easy and quick meals.
Slow Cooker Baked Beans
To make these healthy baked beans in the slow cooker, add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Turn the slow cooker to a high heat and cook, covered for 4 hours. Or cook on a low heat for 6 hours.
Please note: all slow cookers vary in temperatures and so the cook time may vary depending on your slow cooker.
This recipe is delicious as it is, however below are some substitutions or variations if you are short on ingredients.
- Apple cider vinegar - white cooking vinegar or white wine vinegar can be used instead.
- Pure maple syrup - swap for honey, black strap molasses, coconut sugar (white sugar and brown sugar are both refined sugars and so I try to avoid using these if possible).
- Chicken stock - use vegetable stock if vegetarian.
- White beans - feel free to use black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans or a mixture of different canned beans.
Note: I've recommended to use canned beans for convenience, however if you don't like using the canned stuff and prefer to use dry beans that is completely fine! They just need to be soaked and cooked as per package instructions. This article has an excellent guide on how to cook your own navy beans.
- Chorizo - fry sliced chorizo in pan and set aside. Complete all of the steps of the recipe and add the chorizo back in at the end.
- Turkey bacon - fry off thinly sliced turkey bacon or regular bacon in pan and set aside. Complete all of the steps of the recipe and add the chorizo back in at the end.
- Vegetarian version - simply swap the chicken stock for vegetable broth or stock.
Whether serving as a comforting side dish or the main event - here are some delicious ways of serving our healthy baked beans.
- Over buttery toast with a side of wilted spinach for a quick and easy breakfast.
- Serve with Zucchini & Pea Egg Free Fritters or Broccoli & Sweet Potato Fritters.
- In a small bowl alongside sausages (or vegan sausages), hash browns, mushrooms, toast and wilted spinach for a big breakfast.
- As part of a buffet alongside salads, barbecued meats and corn for your next barbecue.
- In a toastie or to top hot dogs.
- Refrigerate: Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freeze: To freeze, divide individual serving sizes between airtight containers, place the lids on and freeze for up to 6 months.
These healthy, homemade baked beans are a healthy addition to the diet as they are high in protein, fibre and complex carbohydrates. I would not recommend this recipe to anyone following the low FODMAP diet however.
This depends on either the recipe that you are following or the brand of baked beans you are buying. If buying baked beans, most will be gluten free, however be sure to check the label. if the label states that they are gluten free then they will be. If the label doesn't specify that they are gluten free then avoid them.
- Chopping Boards
- Sharp knife
- Large frypan pan
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 4 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tins cannelini beans or other white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 jar passatta
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- ½ cup chicken stock
- Place the frypan on the stove top and bring to medium heat. Add the extra virgin olive oil and once heated add in the garlic. Sauté until garlic is golden and fragrant.4 tablespoons olive oil, 4 cloves garlic
- Add in passatta, smoked paprika, onion powder, dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, chicken stock, sea salt and maple syrup. Give the sauce a good stir to combine. Simmer for about 5 minutes.1 tablespoon dijon mustard, 2 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 jar passatta, 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, ½ cup chicken stock, ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Add cannelini beans to tomato mixture and stir to evenly coat. Simmer for another 5 minutes or until the sauce is beginning to slightly thicken. Taste and add extra salt if desired.2 tins cannelini beans
- Serve warm.
StorageStore baked beans in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days and in the freezer for 2-3 months.
Did you make this recipe? Please give the recipe and star rating and comment below to let us know how you went.