This dairy free creamy cauliflower soup recipe has a delicious garlic and roasted pine nut flavour. It is perfect for an Autumn or Winter lunch, dinner or snack.Jump to Recipe
Creamy Cauliflower Soup
Cauliflower soup is hands down one of my favourite soups to make. Cauliflower is such an amazing vehicle for flavour and adding garlic and toasted pine nuts complements it so well. I am loving soup at the moment - white bean soup, Thai red curry tofu noodle soup, Thai coconut pumpkin soup - I'll take all of the comfort food please and thank you. This dairy free soup takes a total of 25 minutes to make! I love serving it topped with extra toasted pine nuts with a side of buttery gluten free toast (or spelt sourdough for those less digestively challenged folks). I've made this cauliflower soup vegan, dairy free, gluten free and egg free. The pine nuts are optional for those with nut allergies.
Ingredients to Make Creamy Cauliflower Soup
You can make this quick and easy soup recipe with only 8 ingredients! This is definitely a recipe perfect for those beginner cooks among us.
You will need:
- Garlic - garlic isn't just amazing for flavour, it is full of health benefits as well. Garlic has a plant chemical called Allicin which is anti-inflammatory, cholesterol and blood pressure reducing and immune boosting. You know that beautiful garlic smell that is released when you crush or chop garlic? That is allicin being released.
- Brown Onion - similar to garlic, brown onion is amazing for flavour but also has healthy benefits. Onions are highly nutritious and contain antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and immune boosting compounds.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - Extra virgin olive oil (or EVOO) contains polyunsaturated fats and is my favourite go-to oil for cooking and baking.
- Cauliflower - cauliflower might seem like a humble vegetable but is is actually incredibly nutritious. 1 cup of cauliflower provides ¾ of our daily requirement for vitamin C. It is also high in vitamin K & B6, folate, potassium, magnesium, calcium and fibre.
- Stock - the healthiest option is to make your own stock or broth, however there are some brands available in the supermarket that are much more natural and sugar free. My favourites are Momo's Meals Free Range Chicken Stock and the Maggie Bear range of stocks.
- Sea salt - buying quality salt is so important - table salt is chemically produced and more harmful to the kidneys, while sea salt or Himalayan salt is natural and high in minerals. I recommend to salt all dishes to taste as everyone will have a different preference.
- Almond Milk - almond milk gives this soup it's creaminess while still being dairy free. For those allergic to nuts, you can use any other plant based milk like soy or oat milk.
- Pine Nuts - pine nuts contain monounsaturated fats, fibre, magnesium and vitamin. They also add a beautiful nutty and earthy flavour to this soup.
Cauliflower Soup Serving Suggestions
While this soup is delicious just as it is, it is important if eating it as a main meal to add some extra protein to the dish. Here are my suggestions for adding protein.
- shredded chicken
- crispy chickpeas
- fried chorizo
- fried bacon pieces
- salt & pepper tofu
I love to serve this soup with a buttery piece of toast. Pick your favourite vegan butter, or real butter if you're not dairy intolerant or vegan. Choose a traditionally made sourdough or your favourite gluten free bread.
How to Make this Soup Nut Free
To make this soup nut free, you can simply leave out the pine nuts and swap the almond milk for another plant based milk. The pine nuts add a slight amount of creaminess to the soup but the real creaminess is from the milk. Leaving out the pine nuts is perfectly fine and still makes for a delicious soup.
To add crunch factor to the top, serve with crispy roasted chickpeas or croutons.
Enjoy this ridiculously comforting and creamy soup!
- Large saucepan
- Chopping Board
- Sharp knife
- Baking dish
- 4 cloves garlic peeled & sliced
- 1 brown onion peeled & roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 500 mL vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 1 head cauliflower cut into florets
- ⅓ cup pine nuts toasted
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 tsp salt
- Bring the extra virgin olive oil in a large saucepan to a medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until translucent and tender.
- Add the garlic to the pan and sauté for 2 minutes or until fragrant. Add the stock and caulfilower to the pan and allow to simmer, covered, until the cauliflower is tender.
- Turn off the heat and transfer contents of the saucepan to a heat proof blender or food processor. Add in the sea salt, pine nuts and milk and blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Taste the soup and adjust with salt if necessary. Serve warm topped with extra pine nuts and extra virgin olive oil.
Did you love this recipe? Rate this recipe and comment below to help us get found on Google.