There are two very exciting things about this blog post. The first is that it is my first blog post in almost a year! And the second is that this is the very first blog post and recipe for Our Nourishing Table!! [And what better first recipe then a banana bread recipe right?!] So I am giving you a big warm virtual hug to say thank you for being here. I’m so excited that you’re here for the start of a very exciting and delicious food filled adventure.
I’m kicking off with one of my all-time favourite recipes, banana bread. Banana bread is such a staple in our kitchen. This gluten free banana bread recipe is also free from dairy and is low in sugar, with just a little honey added for sweetness. I’ve always been big on a baked dish that requires no blenders. Mainly because I am a mum and there is enough noise in this house already. But also because it just feels like less hassle. Feel free to jump straight to the recipe….Jump to Recipe or read on if you want to learn a little more.
Why Gluten and Dairy Free Banana Bread?
At Our Nourishing Table, I create recipes that are gluten free and most of the time dairy free as well. This is not because I see gluten and dairy as being “bad”. This is because, personally, I am legitimately intolerant. Got to love being digestively challenged right? Not eating gluten and dairy means that I feel 100 times better and I get to avoid some pretty noteworthy symptoms (I still find it hard to ditch cheese though… #imonlyhuman).
Being gluten and dairy free isn’t for everyone and it is certainly not necessary for everyone. If you are gluten and dairy intolerant then I think you will love my recipes. And if you’re not, then you just get the added benefit of having some food that is a little easier to digest, but still tastes great.
To read more about me and my health ethos head here.
If you make this recipe, be sure to share your baking win on Instagram and tag @ournourishingtable.
- 2 ripe bananas mashed
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup almond meal blanched
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder aluminium free
- 1 tsp cinnamon ground
- 1 tsp nutmeg ground
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
- Tip almond meal, brown rice flour, buckwheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg into a large mixnig bowl. Stir to combine.
- In a smaller mixing bowl add the mashed bananas, olive oil, eggs and honey. Whisk to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir through with a spoon. Pour mixture into baking paper lined loaf tin and bake in oven for 1 hour or until skewer comes out clean when tested.
- Once baked, turn banana bread out onto cooling rack and allow to cool slightly before serving.