This Gluten-Free Vanilla Sheet Cake has a dairy free dark chocolate ganache frosting. As well as being gluten free, this vanilla sheet cake is also free from dairy with a nut free option.
Gluten-Free Vanilla Sheet Cake
Why? Because I don't think that anyone should have to miss out on something delicious just because of a few pesky intolerances. This allergy/intolerance friendly cake is fun to make and delicious. Not only is this vanilla sheet cake gluten free, it is also dairy free AND nut free.
To make this cake nut free, use extra virgin olive oil in place of macadamia oil. If you're wanting to avoid the olive oil flavour you could also use rice bran oil. Personally I lean towards extra virgin olive oil as it is an unrefined oil. Rice bran oil is heavily processed, however it does have a high smoke point and a subtle flavour.
If you're not worried about making this cake nut free and you're using macadamia oil, you are in for a treat. The macadamia flavour comes through ever so subtly, while still allowing the vanilla flavour to be the hero.
This gluten-free vanilla sheet cake is made from a base of coconut flour, buckwheat flour, eggs and oil. Coconut sugar makes this cake refined sugar free.
And Dairy Free Dark Chocolate Ganache You Say?
This dairy free dark chocolate ganache is the icing on the cake, quite literally AND metaphorically. Make the ganache by melting dark chocolate and whisking through coconut cream over heat. The resulting ganache becomes a thick and glossy consistency that spreads like a dream.
Tips for Making This Tasty Vanilla Sheet Cake Even Healthier
- Choose an organic, refined sugar free dark chocolate. My go-to brand is loving earth, but I also love Green & Blacks. However, Green & Blacks isn't refined sugar free.
- Find a brand of sprinkles that are free from artificial colours and flavours. I've used the Hopper Foods Sprinkles.
- Opt for a minimally processed cooking oil. I've used macadamia oil, for nut free use extra virgin olive oil.
I don't think you need anymore convincing. Go forth and bake, eat and enjoy!!
- 7 x 10 inch sheet pan
- small bowl
- large bowl
- medium glass or steel bowl
- Measuring cups
Vanilla Sheet Cake
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- ⅔ cup macadamia oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 3 teaspoon vanilla extract
Dark Chocolate Gananche
- 100 grams dark chocolate
- ⅓ cup coconut cream tinned and pure
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (fan forced)
- In a large mixing bowl seive coconut flour, buckwheat flour, tapioca starch and baking powder.
- Add the coconut sugar to the flour mix and stir to combine.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil and vanilla extract.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir to combine. Do not overmix.
- Pour mixture into a baking paper lined sheet pan and place in oven. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden on top and springs back when pushed lightly in the centre. After 2 minutes, remove cake from pan and allow to cool on a rack.
- While the cake is cooling make the ganache. Break dark chocolate into smaller pieces and place in medium sized glass or steel bowl. Place bowl atop saucepan with water and bring to a medium heat. Stir chocoalte as it melts.
- Once chocolate has melted, add the coconut cream and whisk until mixture is thick and glossy. Remove from heat.
- Place vanilla sheet cake onto a serving board and spread with ganache. Top with sprinkles if desired, slice and serve.
Looking for more gluten free treats? Try these: