Remember the Chocolate Almond Biscuits from last week? Well, you guys, I turned them into brownies. So the methods are quite similar but I thought the biscuits tasted so good that they deserved to be a brownie as well. Just like the biscuits these brownies are gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free, egg free and vegan. So basically they’re everything free but still taste delicious! Hoorah. These grain free brownies are made with only 1/4 cup of coconut sugar, which for me, is the perfect sweetness. However, if you’re used to eating foods a little sweeter you could start with 1/2 cup of coconut or rapadura sugar and adjust the next time you make them.
Brownies Are Great But Balance Your Omega’s
I love using almond meal and almond butter in baking. However it is important to remember that, while almonds are a very healthy food high in essential fatty acids, it is important to balance out the omega 6 with more omega 3. When we are not eating enough omega 3, omega 6 can go down an inflammatory pathway. Eating plenty of deep sea fatty fish like salmon and sardines, chia seeds, flaxseeds and walnuts, will help to boost the amount of omega 3 in your diet. This helps to reduce inflammation and boost general health.
Omega 3 contains docosahexaenoic acid and eicosapentaenoic acid (DHA and EPA), which both exert very important actions throughout the body. DHA is fantastic for brain health and nervous system health. EPA is highly anti-inflammatory and promotes a healthy cardiovascular system. If you’re pregnant or breastfeeding, it is important to stay on top of Omega 3 intake. Omega 3 is very important for a babies developing brain and will also help to balance moods in the mother. In this circumstance, I would highly recommend a quality fish oil supplement.
That’s It Folks
Yup, yup. Short and sweet for me today. We are off on holidays this Friday for a whole week and man, I am excited. Although we are camping, which any other parent would know isn’t always a holiday as much as just parenting in a different location with a whole lot more challenges. Are you with me? But we’ll be at the beach, in the sunshine and on holidays. And for that I am grateful.
Before I go, don’t forget that if you would like to receive notification of new recipes, then join the Sarah Bell Nutrition community here. You will receive access to my Free Resources Library, email notification of new recipes and posts and the occasional tid-bit from me. And no spam I pinky swears.
Pin me for later
Gluten Free, Vegan Chocolate BrowniesPrint Pin
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup tapioca
- 3/4 cup plant based milk eg. cashew, coconut, almond
- 1/4 cup coconut or rapadura sugar
- 1/2 cup blanched almond meal
- 1/4 cup cacao or carob for caffeine free
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder aluminium free
- 1 cup frozen raspberries organic
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Place almond butter, tapioca flour and plant based milk into a bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Add coconut or rapadura sugar, almond meal, cacao or carob powder, buckwheat flour and baking powder and mix with a spoon to combine.
- Add raspberries to the bowl and mix until just combined.
- Transfer mixture to a baking paper lined brownie tin and spread out evenly. Place in oven for 25 minutes.
- After brownies have baked for 25 minutes, remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature before slicing.