A dinner recipe that can be made in under half an hour is a serious winner in my eyes. Bonus points are also given out when each person can put their own dish together. Enter, Coconut Chilli Chicken Tacos. These tacos are so many levels of yum. They are fresh and vibrant and full of flavour, with just enough spice to get the taste buds tingling. I love a little chilli but not so much that you can't taste your food.
In my last blog post I was talking about how Dylan (my 7 year old son) is my biggest foodie fan. Well, he's at it again. My Mum picked him up from school today and on the way home he saw the tacos I made on Instagram stories (on my mums phone). When he got home he beelined straight for the fridge to find the leftover tacos. He ate them so fast that he didn't even realise they were spicey until about 5 minutes after the fact.
These tacos are gluten free with a dairy free option. Just swap out the Greek yoghurt for coconut yoghurt or another plant based yoghurt. You can definitely get creative with this recipe as well and swap ingredients depending on what you have available. Don't have rocket? No worries, just use lettuce. Don't like red cabbage? No bigs, grate some carrot or zucchini instead. If you are a truly dedicated chilli fan you could also add some thinly sliced chilli to the tacos when you're putting them together.
What's Good in These Tacos?
Nutritionally speaking this meal has it all. Lean protein, fresh vegetables, complex carbohydrates and healthy fats (thanks to the coconut milk). They are really fun for kids (and adults, who am I kidding) to put together and choose what goes onto their own taco. Not to mention there is no nasty preservatives, like what can be found in many of the store bought taco mix packs.
I hope you love this recipe and don't forget to tag me on Instagram and Facebook in your recreations!
- 500 grams chicken thigh fillet trimmed and diced
- 270 ml can coconut milk
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp onion salt
- 1 cup coriander roughly chopped
- 1 cup continental parsely roughly chopped
- 1 cup greek yoghurt or coconut yoghurt
- juice of ½ lime
- ½ head red cabbage thinly sliced
- extra coriander to serve
- rocket to serve
- fresh lime cheeks to serve
- 8 soft gluten free tortilla shells
- In a bowl mix together the chicken, coconut milk and spices.
- Add a small amount of rice bran oil to a frypan and bring to a medium heat. Add the chicken and stir occasionally until cooked through.
- Place the yoghurt, coriander, parsley and lime juice into a blender or food processor and blend until well combined and herbs are very well incorporated into the yoghurt.
- Heat tortilla shells in oven as per the instructions on the packet.
- To serve, spoon a small amount of herb yoghurt across the middle of a tortilla shell. Add the chicken, then cabbage, rocket and extra herb yoghurt. Squeeze with extra lime juice if desired.